Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So illegals aren't people?
Shh, you're saying the quiet part out loud.
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
So illegals aren't people?
The entire legal system disagrees with you. See Wong Wing v US (1896).Pretty sure the spirit of the document was to use "the people" to refer to the citizens of the newly formed nation and not the fallacy in the last line, bro.
When the founding fathers wrote the document, I'm pretty sure they didn't have anyone else in mind.
Also pretty sure this qualifies as a "time of public danger", too. Ask the families that have lost their loved ones to people who were just kinda let go to do whatever by the prior administration.
The entire legal system disagrees with you. See Wong Wing v US (1896).
Also, in regards to crime... from the left wing socialist ::checks notes:: Cato Institute...
"Although immigrants do occasionally commit heinous crimes, they are less likely to do so than native-born Americans. This is no comfort to the victims and their loved ones, but it is information that policymakers can use to craft better immigration and anti-crime policies."
1. A court case 120 years later sets the intent of the original document? Not buying it.
2. s/ "Yeah, and medical errors are like, the third leading cause of death. It's those greedy, careless DOCTORS that are the problem."
Bruh. Listen... you enter a nation illegally, any nation, you've committed a serious crime. Why do we have to be different? See my post about Hans, Fritz, and their Steyr AUGs earlier.
I mean they’ve already committed a crime by being here illegally. So that’s strike number that just being here, they are all criminals of so sort. Lastly, even if out of every 100,000 illegals that are here and only 1 commits a heinous crime… that’s one heinous crime that could and should have easily been avoided. It’s easy to say it’s only a statistic until you or a loved one becomes that statistic.The entire legal system disagrees with you. See Wong Wing v US (1896).
Also, in regards to crime... from the left wing socialist ::checks notes:: Cato Institute...
"Although immigrants do occasionally commit heinous crimes, they are less likely to do so than native-born Americans. This is no comfort to the victims and their loved ones, but it is information that policymakers can use to craft better immigration and anti-crime policies."
Im not wading deep into this but regarding illegal immigrants and crime. I think (key word) peoples opinion is that crimes committed by US citizens are “inevitable” and crimes committed by illegal immigrants are not.1. So I guess Marbury v Madison (1803) doesn't count either because it's older? I bet that SCOTUS will be surprised that judicial review has expired. What's the use by date for court cases anyways? The fact is that until SOCTUS says otherwise, that is the precedent by which the court system will use to say that when the US Constitution says, "people" it includes illegal immigrants.
Does the US Constitution have an expiration date? It's even older, so I guess the Bill of Rights is null and void until they get passed again.
2. "Illegal immigrants are violent criminals." :: posts research showing that they commit violent crimes at a significant lower rate than US citizens and legal immigrants from a conservative think tank:: "Well, illegal entry is just as bad as MURDER!"
Do you have actual evidence to back up what you're saying, or are you arguing that your feelings outweigh research?
1. So I guess Marbury v Madison (1803) doesn't count either because it's older? I bet that SCOTUS will be surprised that judicial review has expired. What's the use by date for court cases anyways? The fact is that until SOCTUS says otherwise, that is the precedent by which the court system will use to say that when the US Constitution says, "people" it includes illegal immigrants.
Does the US Constitution have an expiration date? It's even older, so I guess the Bill of Rights is null and void until they get passed again.
2. "Illegal immigrants are violent criminals." :: posts research showing that they commit violent crimes at a significant lower rate than US citizens and legal immigrants from a conservative think tank:: "Well, illegal entry is just as bad as MURDER!"
Do you have actual evidence to back up what you're saying, or are you arguing that your feelings outweigh research?
I mean they’ve already committed a crime by being here illegally. So that’s strike number that just being here, they are all criminals of so sort. Lastly, even if out of every 100,000 illegals that are here and only 1 commits a heinous crime… that’s one heinous crime that could and should have easily been avoided. It’s easy to say it’s only a statistic until you or a loved one becomes that statistic.
Sorry but if you’re here and you shouldn’t be… low level sympathy for you🤷♂️.
What is this garbage? People are only allowed to care about one things at a time? And if that thing doesn't gets fixed, they're never allowed to talk or complaint about anything else? People care about all those things, that's not with this thread is about.Where's the tantrum when you can't transfer an intubated 3 year old? The righteous indignation when team health cuts your hours during a pandemic? The outrage when you're forced to answer to a complaint when so and so on the govt dole didn't feel like you listened to them and so threatens your livelihood with an angry letter?
What is this garbage? People are only allowed to care about one things at a time? And if that thing doesn't gets fixed, they're never allowed to talk or complaint about anything else? People care about all those things, that's not with this thread is about.
Me personally, I would not physically block but I would not assist in anyway if ICE showed up. Just like if the police came in an scooped an unstable trauma patient, I have no ability to stop them and document to minimize any medical libaility I have. I will also not go ahead and call ice on the many undocumented getting dialysis at my hospitals which I suspect some docs here would more than happy to do so.
LolJust like you didn't have the balls to stand up for yourself during COVID, you will fold the second an ICE agent steps into your ED.
Most undocumented workers are coming from places that our country had a direct hand in destabilizing, and they're coming to do work that is far more likely to benefit you then they are to commit a crime that harms you. You're unlikely to have been the victim of a crime committed by an immigrant but you've almost certainly enjoyed lower prices and/or high stock market returns because of their labor.
But despite this, you're willing to cede control of country to someone that doesn't care about it at all just so you don't have to experience the discomfort of being around people from a different culture?
Gonna vote for this thread to be closed/moved if this is emblematic of its departure from practical medical discussion surrounding legal rights of staff and/or patients in the ED.Sounds to me like the people who CARE about the country... are now in control.
Gonna vote for this thread to be closed/moved if this is emblematic of its departure from practical medical discussion surrounding legal rights of staff and/or patients in the ED.
My gut feeling, and I believe you'd likely agree with me, is that they're keeping prices low for the average consumer (especially at the grocery store, in construction, and in everyday hospitality) as well as allowing business owners in said industries to either stay afloat or have a higher margin.For me as a fiscal conservative the question is do these illegal immigrants give us more than they take.
I know this is controversial and you can find data on both sides.
That being said my gut (I know feelings) is that they are a net drain. Upside they work hard, do low wage work that most Americans dont want to do etc.
That being said the costs of educating, providing healthcare etc seems to outweigh this. Again, you can find data on both sides of things. My personal experience with illegal immigrants is overwhelmingly positive. I grew up in a city that was majority immigrants. I lived in NYC, Chicago, Phoenix, Tucson as well.
Unacceptable!Gonna vote for you to return your image to that anime character because I liked it better.
Unacceptable!
(it was Lemongrab from Adventure Time)
Agreed all around but throw in the costs for education, healthcare, food stamps etc who knows the real impact. They do keep prices low on those items but they also keep wages low for many of those jobs. Thats the rub. When I lived in AZ I could get impressive tile/stone work done for under $15/hr.My gut feeling, and I believe you'd likely agree with me, is that they're keeping prices low for the average consumer (especially at the grocery store, in construction, and in everyday hospitality) as well as allowing business owners in said industries to either stay afloat or have a higher margin.
The linked articles creates a definition of financial drain that boils down to taxes in minus welfare out (including to US-citizen children). The very questionable inclusion of benefits to US citizen children aside, I find that sort of simplistic approach somewhat reminiscent of when hospital administrators tell every non-surgical department that they lose the hospital tons of money.
Anyways, I'm not going to get into what should be done about illegal immigration, but I do think a lot of nuance gets lost in these conversations.
The very last thing I'm going to do is debate what type of warrant an ICE agent has. LOL
Agreed all around but throw in the costs for education, healthcare, food stamps etc who knows the real impact. They do keep prices low on those items but they also keep wages low for many of those jobs. Thats the rub. When I lived in AZ I could get impressive tile/stone work done for under $15/hr.
The white laborers hated it. They wanted and needed more money. Again, the challenge is the math is complicated. If you could snap your fingers and remove illegal labor. Prices would go up but so would wages for the low end workers. One could argue it would impact and improve things for those at the lower end of the wage scale by a lot.
We of course perhaps would then collect more in taxes as well.
Hard to know how much is paid in wages under the table. Estimates are quite high but some of that certainly goes to illegals.
This estimate is $2T a year under the table.
We agree I assume that the math on net win/loss is complex.
sure.. i do think our immigration policy is way more lax than european countries. I would be curious what is your ethical opposition to a militarized border?Although I am aware of the counter-perspective and agree the calculation is complex, I think the population decline really points to the need for more immigration, not less:
View attachment 399573
Of course, my opposition to militarized borders is ethical, not purely economic.
I am equally opposed to the militarized borders of Europe.sure.. i do think our immigration policy is way more lax than european countries. I would be curious what is your ethical opposition to a militarized border?
From an ethical standpoint, allowing a large number of people with precarious legal status to exist in the country is only exposing them to a significant risk of exploitation. Even if your policy of choice is that anyone should be able to migrate to the US, I don't think it's morally justifiable for it to happen under the table. If you work backwards from the fact that you want everyone in a country to have a valid legal status, I don't see how you don't end up with needing to enforce some sort of border policy (or a one-world government, I guess).I am equally opposed to the militarized borders of Europe.
My ethical opposition to militarized borders is that they kill people, separate families, and prevent the human freedom to migrate. Borders are themselves forged in blood and militarized by racist nativism and cultural chauvinism, with little acknowledgement of colonial and neo-colonial legacies, highly relevant to the current “crisis” on our southern border. Average American knows nothing of the devastation wrought (and continued to be wrought) on Latin America by the United States. “We are here because you were there.”
But mostly my opposition is rooted in the fact that militarized borders kill human beings and separate families. I would also use Rawls’s veil of ignorance as my starting point for ethical reflection. None of us would argue for militarized borders if we were born to the wrong womb in a poor and war-torn country, and we would surely think it unfair that a country with five percent of the world’s population consumes a quarter of the world’s resources.
I alluded to this in my earlier post, but this is even further muddied by the fact that much of those education, healthcare, and foot stamp costs are going to US Citizen children.Agreed all around but throw in the costs for education, healthcare, food stamps etc who knows the real impact.
I think you could make the argument that farm workers' wages going up could make up for the price of food staples going up. But I don't see how that extends to many other lower-wage fields and lower middle class workers (teachers, secretarial workers, etc.). Maybe indirectly through good ol' inflation (everything costs more, so everyone makes more), but I don't believe historically that has worked out well for people at the lower end of the wage scale.They do keep prices low on those items but they also keep wages low for many of those jobs. Thats the rub. When I lived in AZ I could get impressive tile/stone work done for under $15/hr.
The white laborers hated it. They wanted and needed more money. Again, the challenge is the math is complicated. If you could snap your fingers and remove illegal labor. Prices would go up but so would wages for the low end workers. One could argue it would impact and improve things for those at the lower end of the wage scale by a lot.
I agree it would be painful and some people would lose out. However if you start with the premise that illegals / undocumented people do low wage work, fewer of them would lead to an increase in wages for people to work those jobs. Frankly we see it now. Post COVID the cost of labor went nuts. Why? No people to do the work. I had multiple landscape companies come out and to give quotes. They quoted me their charge of $65/man hour. This is for an unskilled worker.I alluded to this in my earlier post, but this is even further muddied by the fact that much of those education, healthcare, and foot stamp costs are going to US Citizen children.
I think you could make the argument that farm workers' wages going up could make up for the price of food staples going up. But I don't see how that extends to many other lower-wage fields and lower middle class workers (teachers, secretarial workers, etc.). Maybe indirectly through good ol' inflation (everything costs more, so everyone makes more), but I don't believe historically that has worked out well for people at the lower end of the wage scale.
I don't think the country would fall apart without illegal labor, but I do think people are severely underestimating the growing pains that scenario will cause and how it disproportionally would affect people who already are not in great financial positions. I don't say that to justify illegal immigration (read my post above for my thoughts on the ethics of that scenario), but instead to point out that any policy discussion which ends at deportation+border comes across as half-baked to me.
I am equally opposed to the militarized borders of Europe.
My ethical opposition to militarized borders is that they kill people, separate families, and prevent the human freedom to migrate. Borders are themselves forged in blood and militarized by racist nativism and cultural chauvinism, with little acknowledgement of colonial and neo-colonial legacies, highly relevant to the current “crisis” on our southern border. Average American knows nothing of the devastation wrought (and continued to be wrought) on Latin America by the United States. “We are here because you were there.”
But mostly my opposition is rooted in the fact that militarized borders kill human beings and separate families. I would also use Rawls’s veil of ignorance as my starting point for ethical reflection. None of us would argue for militarized borders if we were born to the wrong womb in a poor and war-torn country, and we would surely think it unfair that a country with five percent of the world’s population consumes a quarter of the world’s resources.
"Militarized borders kill people".
Uhh, bro? That's why we have borders... and a military... because there were big problems when there weren't? Borders and militaries solved those problems.
Step over THIS line, and there will be consequences. No, you can't do (that) here. We don't do it that way. It will ruin our society.
I mean, if it's cool for anyone to go anywhere and do anything they want to improve whatever, then let's get BACK to colonialism. Wait, that WASN'T a good thing? Okay... So we don't want colonies of outsiders coming in and doing things THEIR way, HERE? So... now we're back where we started.
Maan.
People with this reductionist viewpoint have a temporocentric mindset that the mean evil people in the now time displaced the people in the before time and those people had a "right" to be there. When really, the history of the world, and it's future, is a story of constant migration, war, strife, suffering, achievement, poverty, and accomplishment.
Those people who you think we're so unjustly ousted, ousted someone else before that, who ousted someone else before that, etc etc.
People with this reductionist viewpoint have a temporocentric mindset that the mean evil people in the now time displaced the people in the before time and those people had a "right" to be there. When really, the history of the world, and it's future, is a story of constant migration, war, strife, suffering, achievement, poverty, and accomplishment.
Those people who you think we're so unjustly ousted, ousted someone else before that, who ousted someone else before that, etc etc.
That article makes a completely unsupported conclusion. They never studied the rates at which illegal immigrants commit crimes. They studied the rates at which they are convicted of crimes, specifically murder.Also, in regards to crime... from the left wing socialist ::checks notes:: Cato Institute...
"Although immigrants do occasionally commit heinous crimes, they are less likely to do so than native-born Americans. This is no comfort to the victims and their loved ones, but it is information that policymakers can use to craft better immigration and anti-crime policies."
You didn't post any research showing they commit less violent crimes. See above.posts research showing that they commit violent crimes at a significant lower rate than US citizens
It is interesting how people bemoan the notion of our southern border being militarized, but don’t bat an eye at the 1 million or so landmines and 30,000 US soldiers that we have stationed along the DMZ keeping the NorKs on their side of the lawn."Militarized borders kill people".
Uhh, bro? That's why we have borders... and a military... because there were big problems when there weren't? Borders and militaries solved those problems.
Step over THIS line, and there will be consequences. No, you can't do (that) here. We don't do it that way. It will ruin our society.
I mean, if it's cool for anyone to go anywhere and do anything they want to improve whatever, then let's get BACK to colonialism. Wait, that WASN'T a good thing? Okay... So we don't want colonies of outsiders coming in and doing things THEIR way, HERE? So... now we're back where we started.
Maan.
It is interesting how people bemoan the notion of our southern border being militarized, but don’t bat an eye at the 1 million or so landmines and 30,000 US soldiers that we have stationed along the DMZ keeping the NorKs on their side of the lawn.
It is interesting how people bemoan the notion of our southern border being militarized, but don’t bat an eye at the 1 million or so landmines and 30,000 US soldiers that we have stationed along the DMZ keeping the NorKs on their side of the lawn.
People with this reductionist viewpoint have a temporocentric mindset that the mean evil people in the now time displaced the people in the before time and those people had a "right" to be there. When really, the history of the world, and it's future, is a story of constant migration, war, strife, suffering, achievement, poverty, and accomplishment.
Those people who you think we're so unjustly ousted, ousted someone else before that, who ousted someone else before that, etc etc.
This is now unrelated to the immigration topic at hand, but to clarify, are you saying that no societal action can be considered unjust because history is full of suffering and the ancestors of every affected group have committed similar actions in the past?
This is now unrelated to the immigration topic at hand, but to clarify, are you saying that no societal action can be considered unjust because history is full of suffering and the ancestors of every affected group have committed similar actions in the past?
I'm saying you need to zoom out.
And until we reach star trek utopia, this is the norm of planet earth, so why spike your cortisol over it?
Self-flagellation can be really dumb, yes. But the moral nihilism of saying "the history of the world, and it's future, is a story of constant migration, war, ..." to side-step thinking about morality certainly gives it a run for its money.What he's saying is the self flagellation that is so en vogue over (chosen group and point in history) is dumb on several levels.
This one made me laugh at the phrase "nontrivial" because 75% of the citizens in that hospital are in the newborn nursery.There are certainly hospitals (say, like LBJ in Houston where I used to work) where a nontrivial number of presentations would be from noncitizens.
That's because nothing matters much, and very little matters at all.There are two groups of people in the world, Happy and unhappy. You know glass half......
When life is good, some people just find things to complain about or worry about. When life is bad, some people just find things that make them feel blessed.
ICE hospital raid is in the same bucket as a meteorite hitting my house.
I think i am a happy and content person. Nothing bothers me. Every obstacle is an opportunity to overcome. When you fall, get up because laying down crying doesn't make things any better.
That's because nothing matters much, and very little matters at all.
Nothing really matters..Nothing really matters.
Anyone can see...
Our mission is to provide students with free, unbiased information, resources, and advising for careers in the health professions. We believe every student deserves access to trustworthy guidance, regardless of background or ability to pay.