When is it time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mosely

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm not panicking about not getting in at all, but when is right to start prepping for reapplication? I know it's still early in the cycle but I my mindset is to hope for the best while preparing for the worst, and I know many of you on here are on second cycle. I applied fairly broadly to about 18 schools, have been rejected from 4, and have 0 interviews. With all but 2 of my secondaries complete for over 4-6 weeks (8/04-8/20ish), I was wondering when is the time? Do you typically wait till November, December etc. The interview season is being scheduled already through December and every additional week, the odds fall out of favor more. I don't want to be preparing for the next cycle at the last minute. It's disheartening watching people with lower stats who were complete weeks after me already hearing back; I'm sure many of you are familiar with this.

CA resident 35Q c3.61 s3.67 w/ research and good EC's/LORs.

Last question; what would should I work on if I do end up reapplying? GPA will likely be around 3.68-3.71 by then and I'll have a fresh publication. Retake the MCAT or focus on more shadowing/volunteering?

Thank You in advance :):thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

It's hard to imagine that you won't get in somewhere, but it's always a good idea to live your life during the application season as if you know you'll be reapplying. Do not, however retake the MCAT. A higher cGPA/BCPM GPA will be nice to have, as will a new publication. You should definitely continue with some form of clinical contact. In addition, branch out and add variety to your ECs. Maybe add a non-medical form of community service for 4 hours a week or become a tutor/mentor. Find another way to exercise your leadership abilities. All these things will provide great fodder for future update letters and interviews. And if you're forced to reapply, your application will have improved. Also consider scoping out possibilities for other LORs in case one of the current ones isn't as strong as your advisor feels it needs to be. Lastly, when you get rejections, call the admissions office, make a phone appointment to speak to a dean, and humbly ask them how you could improve your application.

It's hard to imagine that you won't get in somewhere, but it's always a good idea to live your life during the application season as if you know you'll be reapplying. Do not, however retake the MCAT. A higher cGPA/BCPM GPA will be nice to have, as will a new publication. You should definitely continue with some form of clinical contact. In addition, branch out and add variety to your ECs. Maybe add a non-medical form of community service for 4 hours a week or become a tutor/mentor. Find another way to exercise your leadership abilities. All these things will provide great fodder for future update letters and interviews. And if you're forced to reapply, your application will have improved. Also consider scoping out possibilities for other LORs in case one of the current ones isn't as strong as your advisor feels it needs to be. Lastly, when you get rejections, call the admissions office, make a phone appointment to speak to a dean, and humbly ask them how you could improve your application.

Thank you Stratego you are extremely helpful as always. Even if I was pretty confident I could boost my MCAT score by 2-3 points would you still say no retake?