When is the best time to update non-rolling medical schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Negihamster

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
For schools that are non-rolling, when is the ideal time to provide them an update? Is it immediately after the interview or in January/February before they release decisions in March?

Members don't see this ad.

For schools that are non-rolling, when is the ideal time to provide them an update? Is it immediately after the interview or in January/February before they release decisions in March?
If or when you actually have an important update. It is not necessary otherwise. It can come off as annoying and immature to just email them to waste their time to just say "hey! remember me? okay, bye!"

Now if it is your top choice and you will drop all your other choices ASAP if you get their acceptance, that is something you should def tell them.

Thank you for the response. The update is significant (accepted paper).

I was wondering more about timing. Is there a benefit to informing them immediately after the interview or before they release decisions? Or does it simply not matter?

Members don't see this ad :)

I was wondering more about timing. Is there a benefit to informing them immediately after the interview or before they release decisions? Or does it simply not matter?
Why wouldn't you do it ASAP, hopefully before they make a decision on you? Just because they don't release decisions until March doesn't mean they aren't making them all along!!!!

Reactions: 1 user

I think for a significant update like a paper/publication, you'd want to update as soon as possible after the interview. I interviewed and sent an update a couple days later for, coincidentally, a recently published paper.

Yeah, for an accepted paper you've got enough to make it worth their while to read. The likely effect of timing is probably so School specific and unpredictable it's not worth overthinking it.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors