When is the Personal Statement too Personal/ Tough Background

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dazed_Confused

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have been brainstorming my personal statement and I would appreciate some serious help.
I am not sure if I can share my past/ disadvantaged background on my personal statement.
It has affected decisions I have made in my past and I would like to see how I have grown as an individual.

Here's a brief piece of it. I would like to know what I can share ?
Too keep it short I grew up poor and under-educated like a lot of people.
Things began to get rough when my dad went to prison and my mom mom was diagnosed with schizophrenia when I was 7.
When she became un-employed and violent my younger sister and I were removed from her when I was 13 and placed with my sister.
I dropped out of high-school junior year when I was 16. I was super rebellious and always in trouble.
NO ONE expected anything from me. I didn't know about college until I was 18.
When I was 18 I decided what am I doing with my life I cant get any jobs.
I got my GED.
Soon I stated working retail hated it so I was like what can I do.
So I got a CNA license.

Here it is when I said I don't have to fall into the spiral I was heading in. The one where I would become lost and end up in the streets.
I loved being a CNA.. I then wanted to become a nurse (secretly) I thought man wouldn't it be cool if I could be a doctor... I thought as a joke. I did want to, I liked everything it stood for: braveness, selflessness, strong, a role-model.
The seed of becoming a doctor was always there but it became more real as a possibility when they built a medical school in my city. It could be a possibility. My grandma then got sick (CLICHE) but she did, and I loved being at the hospital. It was a teaching hospital so doctors with their students would come and round on my grandma the few days she was there and I saw myself in their shoes. I wanted to be in their place.

My dreams where shut down by everyone but my older sister. Everyone seemed to think nursing was more appropriate for me. (Older school do what is expected of your gender).

Therefore, I missed a lot of opportunities to volunteer, shadow, and research since these are not things required to become a nurse AND I didn't know about any of this until my sophomore year in college.

FINALLY!!!! I got into a UNI. Finished my pre-reqs for nursing and I was set to go. I COULDN'T DO IT. It felt wrong, I knew i could be a doctor I WANTED to become a doctor.

I changed my Major to Biology and a Minor in Chem.
Who knew little me would have been a science nerd.
But.....
After poor advising, bad class decisions, and never seeing any of these subjects before in my life. I struggled a little bit.

Little by little I learned of things I needed to do AND wanted to do.
Took a couple extra semesters to do what I needed to be more competitive on applications.
Quickly, I realized I am an extremely motivated individual always seeking how to improve.

I am now 25 I have a 3.75 but will be a 8.3 when I graduate this fall, have gotten scholarships to research in London for a summer, became involved in research at school and off-campus where it became my job. Became an ambassador for my schools engaged scholarship and learning office where we are getting a program implemented in the school to help students become involved in the communities while finding their paths.
Have volunteered and shadowed but not nearly enough..

This is my life guys what can I say this is what brought me here to apply.

IDK what to do!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited: