When motivation declines and you don't wanna do no more work...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrSal

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

the senioritis thread got me thinking. I have those times every semester/year, where i'm just not interested in doing anymore work, or reading anymore, or writing...i just wanna stare at the ceiling :eek: or go out and chill with people..

When that happens, i always wonder if i can handle medschool. The stakes are much higher there. I feel like "getting by" in medschool is a dangerous thing. We're going to be sought out to diagnose and treat people's illnesses, and we'll have a direct impact on their lives. So when the good old senioritis hits...i wonder what kind of doctor i'd make, and whether or not i can handle the future i'm working towards...

anyone else feel this way somtimes?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup. Like now. I never wanna see glycolysis again. Ever. I heard a quote once that 'being professional is doing your best at something even when you don't feel like it.' Or something like that. I'm trying to do that... But I'd really prefer to go out for a stroll now.

Anka

that's exactly why I think taking a year or two off before starting med school is such a good idea. i graduated '03, applied this year, and am deferring so that I'll start in fall '05. i wouldn't suggest taking time off if there's not a damn thing you want to do, but if there's a job out there that interests you, do it!
i'm teaching elementary school and it's been such a lesson in picking myself up when I fall off the motivation horse and getting back on. college doesn't teach you that bc the only negative consequences of sloth are to yourself. when other people, esp kiddies, depend on you, it changes everything. i'm infinitely readier for school now than i would have been if i'd gone straight, esp having heard the stories from friends who did. think about it... :cool:

Taking a few years off (at the very end of that now), but taking a couple of classes each term, too. Working 60+ hours per week and taking two classes, one of which is biochem was *not* a happy decision. On the other hand, I'll probably thank myself for it when I take biochem next year. But for now... grunt. I just have to push till next Tuesday.

You're totally right, though -- this is less senioritis like than it would have been if I were a full time student! Then I'd have five classes to procrastonate on. :p

Anka