When people say "no name" university, just how "no name" do they mean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Protagonistic

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In many cases I have heard people call Ohio State, UGA, University of Alabama, and University of Oregon to be no name colleges. My view of a no name university would be a school ranked tier 4 by US World News and Reports.

By that I mean a place like lets say Armstrong Atlantic State University. Are you telling me someone from a place like THAT can get into a top med school?

Members don't see this ad.

They mean a school with literally no name.

Members don't see this ad :)
do you even know where the university of texas is?

It's mostly a degrading term used by pretentious, snooty kids. I'm pretty sure there's some neurotic kid at Harvard who thinks that any other school besides Harvard is a "no-name school". :rolleyes:

The Ivies, WashU, UChicago, Stanford, Duke, MIT, etc... are some pretty no-name schools.

Illinois State, on the other hand, is a top tier institute of higher education!

It's mostly a degrading term used by pretentious, snooty kids. I'm pretty sure there's some neurotic kid at Harvard who thinks that any other school besides Harvard is a "no-name school". :rolleyes:

Harvard is so nouveau riche. Yale and Princeton are where it's at.

In many cases I have heard people call Ohio State, UGA, University of Alabama, and University of Oregon to be no name colleges. My view of a no name university would be a school ranked tier 4 by US World News and Reports.

By that I mean a place like lets say Armstrong Atlantic State University. Are you telling me someone from a place like THAT can get into a top med school?

Clearly you can't be a no-name school if you're a football powerhouse.

I'm pretty sure you can't be no-name to medical schools...AND have a medical school.

Many people on this site, and this forum in particular don't seem to have a firm grasp on reality WRT school prestige. Their idea of no name schools and what really would be considered a "no name school" is not even close. There are plenty of small tier 2 and 3 schools with excellent academic reputations, both regionally and nationally, however they lack several of the factors that drive the rankings. This is particularly true for medical schools where the rankings are heavily driven by research dollars. All allopathic schools should put out strong clinicians. The top 1/2-2/3 are probably, on average, better than the lower 1/2-1/3. And the top 10 or 20 are probably a bit better than the rest, mostly due to research opportunities available to a motivated student. For the average student it's really all the same. You can get a 250 on step one at EVMS or Harvard. The average may be higher in the top 10, but that's likely driven by more highly motivated overachievers and not a significant difference in teaching. I will say EVMS might be the worst school out there, IMHO. I had the displeasure of working with an intern from there. Nicest guy, old South (if you know what I mean), probably 10/10 on his interviews, BUT the absolute worst clinician imaginable. He washed out. It saved countless lives and lawsuits.

When I hear no-name I typically think of smaller private schools 10,000> n, or online colleges such as devry, herald. How many of you have heard of Art Institute of Portland compared to Oregon State and University of Oregon?

When I hear no-name I typically think of smaller private schools 10,000> n, or online colleges such as devry, herald. How many of you have heard of Art Institute of Portland compared to Oregon State and University of Oregon?

I also think there is a difference between a no-name and a state school; however, they can be synonymous. Take for example Indiana University or Purdue University (state schools) and compare them with Indiana State University or Ball State University. I am confident the first two aren't no-names (IU has a med school) while the second two are.

The Art Institutes are well recognized by the arts community both in industry and within the academic arts. Some Art Institutes, such as Chicago's, is a powerhouse within the world of academic arts.

BTW: EVERYONE knows about Devry. ;) I challenge you to ask random people if they've heard of Devry and I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that has never heard of that school.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Art Institutes are well recognized by the arts community both in industry and within the academic arts. Some Art Institutes, such as Chicago's, is a powerhouse within the world of academic arts.

BTW: EVERYONE knows about Devry. ;) I challenge you to ask random people if they've heard of Devry and I bet you'd be hard-pressed to find someone that has never heard of that school.

great point, you are a pretty cool poster!

Who hasn't heard about the university of phoenix lol.

You'd be surprised at some of the schools that your med school classmates will come from. a 33 MCAT is a 33 MCAT. Hell, I've got a classmate from Liberty... I wasn't even aware that Jerry Falwell allowed the teaching of science. :rolleyes:

/though she is very nice and hasn't done anything to bring about the end times that I'm aware of.

OP, No name schools are schools you seriously have no clue exist... such as tier 3 and 4 schools like you said.

Example... Devry university, and itt tech.... lmao
"offers an education for the future"

No name universities are typically in the form of:

[Insert cardinal direction] [Insert state name] university

ex. Southern Oregon University

Would for-profit colleges, like Phoenix and Devry, be considered as "no name". If anything they don't usually ring a name to brag about.

It's just as bad to attend the above as it is a no-name.

I'm far from the expert, but I would think no-name is more credible. Oh, how did you hear about your school? TV commercials!!

The only time I designate a school as a no-name university is if the arrogance of the person I'm talking to exceeds their undergrad. I don't judge a person by their undergrad because it makes no difference to me where they went. Circumstances came and they might've had a great opportunity to go there. Coming here to SDN, I've found my assertion to be pretty much spot on - the opportunity to go to Med School isn't remotely substantial from school to school. No-name is mostly used by pretentious assturds who's ego is only boosted by the name of the school they went to...

andy-bernard.png

The only time I designate a school as a no-name university is if the arrogance of the person I'm talking to exceeds their undergrad. I don't judge a person by their undergrad because it makes no difference to me where they went. Circumstances came and they might've had a great opportunity to go there. Coming here to SDN, I've found my assertion to be pretty much spot on - the opportunity to go to Med School isn't remotely substantial from school to school. No-name is mostly used by pretentious assturds who's ego is only boosted by the name of the school they went to...

andy-bernard.png

I went to Cornell, ever heard of it? I never studied once. I was drunk the whole time, and I sang in the a cappella group, Here Comes Treble.

No name universities are typically in the form of:

[Insert cardinal direction] [Insert state name] university

ex. Southern Oregon University

West Virginia University

But yeah that is a pretty good rule overall, never realized it

Many people on this site, and this forum in particular don't seem to have a firm grasp on reality WRT school prestige. Their idea of no name schools and what really would be considered a "no name school" is not even close. There are plenty of small tier 2 and 3 schools with excellent academic reputations, both regionally and nationally, however they lack several of the factors that drive the rankings. This is particularly true for medical schools where the rankings are heavily driven by research dollars. All allopathic schools should put out strong clinicians. The top 1/2-2/3 are probably, on average, better than the lower 1/2-1/3. And the top 10 or 20 are probably a bit better than the rest, mostly due to research opportunities available to a motivated student. For the average student it's really all the same. You can get a 250 on step one at EVMS or Harvard. The average may be higher in the top 10, but that's likely driven by more highly motivated overachievers and not a significant difference in teaching. I will say EVMS might be the worst school out there, IMHO. I had the displeasure of working with an intern from there. Nicest guy, old South (if you know what I mean), probably 10/10 on his interviews, BUT the absolute worst clinician imaginable. He washed out. It saved countless lives and lawsuits.

Obviously I know very little about how residency selection occurs, but is it reasonable to judge an entire school based on one graduate like this? Is "clinician quality" typically consistent for applicants from a given institution?

Obviously I know very little about how residency selection occurs, but is it reasonable to judge an entire school based on one graduate like this? Is "clinician quality" typically consistent for applicants from a given institution?
In the real world? No. In Pre-Allo - it's almost a given rule of thumb that making outlandish generalizations/assumptions off one discrete encounter is the norm.

Name or prestige depends on the field of interest really. UNF isn't a big name school but if you want to be a nurse or a teacher it is pretty good. Honestly if you are trying to get into med school your undergrad matters little, unless it helps you with grades, MCAT and ECs. Undergrad doesn't matter, save money and go to a small state school.

You'd be surprised at some of the schools that your med school classmates will come from. a 33 MCAT is a 33 MCAT. Hell, I've got a classmate from Liberty... I wasn't even aware that Jerry Falwell allowed the teaching of science. :rolleyes:

/though she is very nice and hasn't done anything to bring about the end times that I'm aware of.

lol that is encouraging

My dream is to go to Hogwarts school of medicine :)

I think that where you went for undergrad is most impressive to those who never went beyond undergrad themselves, including those who never went in the first place. Outside of some narrow fields (medicine is not one of them), where you got your B.S. from is unimportant.

I'm under the impression that it matters more for graduate school, but not really so much in the way of "oh, you got an M.S. in math from Princeton?" as "oh, your school is well known for its research in <combinatorics or something>!"

Am I thinking incorrectly?

West Virginia University

But yeah that is a pretty good rule overall, never realized it

West Virginia is a state.

Western West Virginia University on the other hand...

http://colleges.usnews.rankingsandr...h-ga/armstrong-atlantic-state-university-1546

Armstrong Atlantic State is tier 2

P.S. I was born and raised in Savannah, Armstrong is a pretty amazing school (for a city/state school).

Last edited:
[QUOTE:] The only time I designate a school as a no-name university is if the arrogance of the person I'm talking to exceeds their undergrad. I don't judge a person by their undergrad because it makes no difference to me where they went. Circumstances came and they might've had a great opportunity to go there. Coming here to SDN, I've found my assertion to be pretty much spot on - the opportunity to go to Med School isn't remotely substantial from school to school. No-name is mostly used by pretentious assturds who's ego is only boosted by the name of the school they went to...

Rock On Nice Bit!

University of Southern California ;)

lol granted there are exceptions, I think it's a decent rule though.

North Texas
Southern Illinois
Middle Tennessee State University
East Tennessee State
Mississippi Valley State?!?!? (clearly, that doesn't fit, but I think it's a winner)

The fact that they gave a medical degree to someone who was so absolutely clinically horrible AND who was deemed untrainable makes me strongly question what goes on there. He also had to have a reasonably good Deans letter and LORs to match where we went??? He probably tested OK, all book smarts but no ability to apply the knowledge to an actual patient. He also couldn't function during stress, including the "stress" associated with simple sign out. The nurses would have to call the resident all the time to clean up his messes. He couldn't be trusted to follow simply laid out plans for patients he was cross covering. Perhaps he had a stroke or something between graduation from medical school and the start of internship.:smuggrin: Imagine turning a college student loose on the wards and what would happen. It was really like that. I lost all respect for EVMS. I know a Pediatric Anesthesiologist who trained at Loma Linda. She is an absolute freak show, also with pretty questionable judgement, and some strange ideas about what is standard practice. I'm not feeling the love for their program either. They gave her their certificate and endorsement and I probably would have anxiety having her take over my room at the end of the day. Fortunately I don't (and wouldn't) work with her. Are my judgements unwarranted? (and excessively sarcastic). Perhaps, but someone has to come along and prove them wrong first.

Last edited:
I think the only truly "no-name" universities are things like devry and stuff like that. I could probably get on board the idea that many state universities and small private colleges are no name. Of course, that's not the case with all of them (e.g. ohio state, penn state, occidental college, etc.). Other than that I think the majority of people that say no name colleges are doing to boast.

A no name school is like the one I attend: SUNY Plattsburgh :laugh::laugh::laugh:
But that doesn't mean I'm a nobody.

I used to think those rankings and "top schools" wagon that people hop on are meaningless but it's not. In fact I who once used to not care about things like valedictorians, class ranks, and Ivy league schools I'm now trying to get into a top med school. Don't get sucked into the whirpool I was in. Those "big name" schools DO count!

I went to an unranked, "WTF does that acronym stand for school" and we have a large legacy behind us. School name, bleh.

Dude just face it, unless you're Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, UPenn, and the likes no matter what you say / do you're not a "big boy". Oh I think the only exception to the Ivies would be Rutgers

Dude just face it, unless you're Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, UPenn, and the likes no matter what you say / do you're not a "big boy". Oh I think the only exception to the Ivies would be Rutgers
That all depends on what you're studying. Going for engineering or IT at Harvard when you have a chance to go to MIT, UCB, Stanford, or Cal Tech would be unwise since the 4 aforementioned schools are in the top 5 for eng. and IT. Harvard comes in at 25. ;)

Although I think it's completely reasonable to judge a residency program based on who they are willing to graduate, I don't think it's reasonable to judge a medical school based on the clinical skills of their graduates. There are WAY too many med students who make it through just smoldering along during third and fourth year simply because they rocked the basic science years and could rock the shelf exams and they never spend long enough with anyone clinically for there to be a consensus opinion that they shouldn't graduate based on clinical skills. As a med student your actual clinical responsibility can be superficial, a bunch of foolios manage to graduate med school and match into residency at actual great programs. The biggest measure is whether the residency program, which gets a minimum of 3 years to evaluate and watch the progress of this individual within the same group of faculty, has the b#lls to call them out when they are horrible and intervene whether it's firing or just making sure they get better. You can definitely judge a residency program based on the quality of the people they are willing to graduate. The quality of the fellows that I've worked with says it all about the programs they came from, good and bad.

If I were to count up all the residents that have been clinically inept over the last eight years since I graduated medical school, I would say 50% of these people were from "elite" or "top tier" medical schools, including several from the top 3-5. Every med school graduates "freak shows" including Harvard, Yale, Hopkins, etc. etc.-- It was telling to me whether or not the residency program they were in took the feedback they were getting and made the appropriate interventions or just let these people smolder along and get through. Says a lot about the quality of folks a residency is willing to accept.

The fact that they gave a medical degree to someone who was so absolutely clinically horrible AND who was deemed untrainable makes me strongly question what goes on there. He also had to have a reasonably good Deans letter and LORs to match where we went??? He probably tested OK, all book smarts but no ability to apply the knowledge to an actual patient. He also couldn't function during stress, including the "stress" associated with simple sign out. The nurses would have to call the resident all the time to clean up his messes. He couldn't be trusted to follow simply laid out plans for patients he was cross covering. Perhaps he had a stroke or something between graduation from medical school and the start of internship.:smuggrin: Imagine turning a college student loose on the wards and what would happen. It was really like that. I lost all respect for EVMS. I know a Pediatric Anesthesiologist who trained at Loma Linda. She is an absolute freak show, also with pretty questionable judgement, and some strange ideas about what is standard practice. I'm not feeling the love for their program either. They gave her their certificate and endorsement and I probably would have anxiety having her take over my room at the end of the day. Fortunately I don't (and wouldn't) work with her. Are my judgements unwarranted? (and excessively sarcastic). Perhaps, but someone has to come along and prove them wrong first.

lol granted there are exceptions, I think it's a decent rule though.

North Texas
Southern Illinois
Middle Tennessee State University
East Tennessee State
Mississippi Valley State?!?!? (clearly, that doesn't fit, but I think it's a winner)

nah, Southern Cal IS a no name school... for rich kids who couldn't get into UCLA. :D

Name or prestige depends on the field of interest really. UNF isn't a big name school but if you want to be a nurse or a teacher it is pretty good. Honestly if you are trying to get into med school your undergrad matters little, unless it helps you with grades, MCAT and ECs. Undergrad doesn't matter, save money and go to a small state school.

I dunno my friend. I'm from FL as well, and UNF/UWF/UCF students have trouble getting into medical schools. UMiami pretty much only took UF and UMiami students out of FL colleges (I know it's private, but they favor IS). The other FL medical schools kind of followed suit. The only one I don't know much about is FSU because I have zero interest in attending there, and didn't look at their entering class stats. This kind of trend helped me decide to escape FL asap. I wish you all the look in the world though. I'm not intending to dissuade you in any way.

Cool kids model their lives after Rory Gilmore and apply to Yale insistently until they get in.

Yale is the only school name I know :rolleyes:

well it is Florida... not exactly a hotbed of education.

the stories from my education major friends who went to FL are always more interesting than those who stayed close to home.

Last edited: