Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
So I read this in another thread. In mid-March, AMCAS sends a list to all the schools of students who applied and where they have been accepted. Thus, schools will know where you have been accepted by mid-March.

Is this true?

sh2021

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 27, 2004
NY
Status (Visible)
Furthermore, are they told about all the schools you applied to or only those that offered you an acceptance? Do they know only the offers or do they also know your response? Do they also know where you have been rejected waitlisted etc.

About the Ads

darkcity998

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2003
Status (Visible)
I thought that was Mid-May and

Mid March is the date for schools to have at least offered acceptances to fill half or all of their class sizes.

jlee9531

J,A,S
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 25, 2002
CA
fantasysports.yahoo.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
may 15th should be the day the schools know...so they can check to see if anyone one of their potential med students will either choose them or someone else and then after that....lovely waitlist movement!

E

Eraserhead

Originally posted by Slickness
So I read this in another thread. In mid-March, AMCAS sends a list to all the schools of students who applied and where they have been accepted. Thus, schools will know where you have been accepted by mid-March.

Is this true?

I thought it was April 15th!

Adapt

2K Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Mar 19, 2003
Status (Visible)
Well at least we have established it's the 15th. Now we just have to get the month right.

E

Eraserhead

My UCSD acceptance said it was April 15th when the schools know and free to hound you and May 15th when you have to have made and established a decision.

dstn2bmd

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 28, 2003
Status (Visible)
Well at least we have established it's the 15th. Now we just have to get the month right.

LOL :laugh:

Heb

CalBeE

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2003
Status (Visible)

I think I'm leaning towards March 15th or April 15th. I've heard stories of schools calling up applicants asking them to make up their minds, and this was done before May 15th. So I think schools do know before the deadline of May 15th.

snapdad

Rock and Roll Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Page 48 of the MSAR:

"Applicants fortunate enough to have multiple admission offers should not delay their fellow applicants by holding those acceptances for an extended period of time. Decisions should be made and schools notified as promptly as possible. In early May, AMCAS shares acceptance information with all medical schools. By mid-May, the AAMC expects that all medical schools will have notified applicants of their financial aid awards and that accepted applicants will have decided which school to attend. May 15 is the deadline for acceptance deposit refunds and for applicants' final decisions about medical schools; after May 15, schools can require applicants to choose. Under no circumstances should applicants be required to withdraw from other schools' waiting lists as a condition of accepting a medical school place. Ultimately, decisions about where to attend belong to applicants, not schools."

Although they don't specifically address the time they notify schools about where you've been accepted, this website is helpful for keeping the dates straight:

http://www.aamc.org/students/applying/policies/recommendations.htm

Chrisobean

The Killer Bean
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 17, 2003
trying to get some sleep
Status (Visible)
does anyone else think its totally WACK that schools can leave you on the waitlist up until class starts, or in some cases the first week of class, and then pull you off?!?

i think there should be some rule about this, a cut off date. how horrible (but great) must that be to find out in august you are going to med school tomorrow

F

ForensicPath

Originally posted by Chrisobean
does anyone else think its totally WACK that schools can leave you on the waitlist up until class starts, or in some cases the first week of class, and then pull you off?!?

i think there should be some rule about this, a cut off date. how horrible (but great) must that be to find out in august you are going to med school tomorrow

I spoke with a student at Tufts who was pulled off the waitlist a week before classes started. He had already assumed that he wasn't go to med school this time around and he would be reapplying next cycle.

As for myself, I have 1 acceptance, but I am on the waitlist for my top choice. However, I think I am going to set an arbitrary date where I will withdraw from the waitlist if I am not accepted. I don't want to have to make any last minute changes/decisions.

snapdad

Rock and Roll Doctor
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2003
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Yeah, no doubt. A close friend of mine suddenly got accepted to UVM a week and a half before classes started a couple of years ago. She had to quit her job, sell her condo, move across the country, and find a new place (that took cats) all in the space of a week. Pretty brutal.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 17 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.