When should I apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RUc10

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
The way I was planning on going through this process was to take orgo and physics over the next 2 semesters and during summer '09 take systems phys and genetics while studying for the August MCAT. I was then going to apply to med school the year after because I need the extra 2 semesters to boost my g.p.a. and EC's OR if I feel that I killed the exam I was going to apply to a couple lower-tier schools and SGU to see how I faired.

Alternate scenario I'm thinking of doing now:

Take orgo, physics, genetics, and systems phys over the next 3 semesters and then take the MCAT in June of '10 and apply that summer. I was then going to study abroad that fall (or possibly in the spring to avoid conflicts with interviews).

Which sounds better? With option 2 I have much more time to study for the MCAT and I also don't to pack as much difficult classes into a short period of time so I also have a better chance of receiving A's in all of these courses.

With option 1 the benefit I saw was that I'll be taking the MCAT coming straight off of finishing orgo, genetics, and systems phys and since I didn't plan on applying until the year after anyway, if I wasn't satisfied with the MCAT score I could take it again the next summer.

Members don't see this ad.

With option 1 the benefit I saw was that I'll be taking the MCAT coming straight off of finishing orgo, genetics, and systems phys and since I didn't plan on applying until the year after anyway, if I wasn't satisfied with the MCAT score I could take it again the next summer.

I prefer option 1, as taking the MCAT directly after orgo and physics saves a lot of restudying. I made the mistake of taking a summer prerequisite and studying for an August MCAT simultaneously (along with a Kaplan prep course), which I felt decreased my MCAT study time as I was so intent on getting As in a difficult course. My MCAT was still OK, but not great. Consider decreasing to one course only next summer, study for the MCAT too, and maybe take a September MCAT (if it's available), so you can have some solid, MCAT-only study time before taking it. I also agree with waiting until the following application cycle, getting more great grades and boosting the GPA while enhancing your ECs. There's no point to applying until your application is the best it can be.

Thanks, so the two classes I was going to take next summer if I chose option 1 were Systems Physiology and Genetics. Which of the two are more important towards my MCAT prep if I should drop the other?

Mind you I've already taken a Functional Human Anatomy course and will be taking an Exercise Physiology course next semester for my major as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Genetics is probably more important. Physiology is also important, but since you've already had some classes closely related to it, you should be fine with a little supplemental instruction from an MCAT review book.

I vote for the first option as well, for the record.

I agree that Genetics trumps Physio, unless your basic Intro to Bio courses covered genetics in depth.

Thanks, I appreciate it a lot, especially since the advice is coming from two people already in medical school. I'll stick with option #1 then.