When Should I Expect Interview Invites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Elbarto150

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
My stats are 3.66 GPA, 33O MCAT.

I am a Texas resident and I applied to the following schools (primary app. submitted about 2 months ago, secondaries about 1 month ago give or take)

Baylor
UT Houston
UTMB Galveston
UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
A&M
Harvard
Yale
Pritzker
UCSD
UCLA (Keck)
Northwestern (Feinberg)
Stanford

I received a rejection notice from Pritzker about a week ago. This was discouraging. Also, I hear that UTMB has already begun to send out interview invites.

From someone familiar with the process, when should I expect to see interview invites coming in (through email?) from any of these schools?

Members don't see this ad.

check the school specific threads to see who has extended interviews

This might be an impossible question to answer, but on average, if I am competitive at a school, how much time will it take from being complete to being offered an interview? Days? A week? Months? Just a ballpark range if I am indeed a strong applicant for an average school. Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad :)

I am a Texas resident and I applied to the following schools (primary app. submitted about 2 months ago, secondaries about 1 month ago give or take)

Baylor
UT Houston
UTMB Galveston
UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
A&M
Harvard
Yale
Pritzker
UCSD
UCLA (Keck)
Northwestern (Feinberg)
Stanford

I received a rejection notice from Pritzker about a week ago. This was discouraging. Also, I hear that UTMB has already begun to send out interview invites.

From someone familiar with the process, when should I expect to see interview invites coming in (through email?) from any of these schools?

First of all, you can see which schools have already given out interviews here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11384654#post11384654

Then go to the TMDSAS processing thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823106

or the AMCAS verification thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933

Try to find names of people who were verified/processed around the same time as you.

Then see if they post anything about receiving interviews in the school-specific threads here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=826

Good luck :luck:

A 330 MCAT score?! Wow kids these days are really impressive. I didn't even know it went that high...

You should expect to hear about your first interview on August 7, 2011, at approximately 3:24pm, give or take e-mail router transit time.

:p

A 330 MCAT score?! Wow kids these days are really impressive. I didn't even know it went that high...

You should expect to hear about your first interview on August 7, 2011, at approximately 3:24pm, give or take e-mail router transit time.

I read that as a 33O (as in the O is the writing score), not 330 :laugh:

I'm hoping they start rolling in in september and go until march/april

I was told not to worry this early. Besides you are from a good state to apply from. You state schools got your back. Me on the other hand is living dangerously since I am from CA.

OP, your chances are not good at UCSD since you're not from California...

I would say your chances at Harvard, Yale, and Stanford are low, as well.

Good luck though :luck:

Why even say good luck at the end of this discouragement?

just curious OP,
why didnt you apply to the 2 texas tech school and UNT school.

just curious OP,

I forgot to list Tech, I actually did apply there.
I never saw UNT as an option to apply to in my TMDSAS application (where I'm assuming it would be) and frankly am not interested in it anyway.

Members don't see this ad :)
I never saw UNT as an option to apply to in my TMDSAS application (where I'm assuming it would be) and frankly am not interested in it anyway.

TCOM is D.O and it's always good to be on the safe side these days, it gets harder every year

I wouldn't expect interview invites from Harvard, Yale, Pritzker, UCSD, UCLA, Northwestern, or Stanford any time soon. I'm not sure about the rest.

Good luck!

Texans applying to California schools.. :confused:

I thought the best state in the union was better than that.

The Best State in the Union occasionally exports its talents to impoverished areas.

Those are some nice schools you applied to... Good luck :smuggrin:

edit: oh texas resident

wit all the texas schools...now

I am curious about UTMB (and all other Texas schools in general) and how they schedule interviews.

My TMDSAS application was submitted by the end of June and I still have not heard anything back from UTMB. My stats are 3.67 cGPA/sGPA (too low?), 33 MCAT, TX resident. I've been getting discouraged lately after reading posts by people who have already been invited to an interview at UTMB.

Is there a certain order to interviews there (ie. out of state people first, or less qualified applicants first, or those who applied first...), or is it completely random? I just worry that I haven't heard anything from them yet even though I applied so early on.

I am curious about UTMB (and all other Texas schools in general) and how they schedule interviews.

My TMDSAS application was submitted by the end of June and I still have not heard anything back from UTMB. My stats are 3.67 cGPA/sGPA (too low?), 33 MCAT, TX resident. I've been getting discouraged lately after reading posts by people who have already been invited to an interview at UTMB.

Is there a certain order to interviews there (ie. out of state people first, or less qualified applicants first, or those who applied first...), or is it completely random? I just worry that I haven't heard anything from them yet even though I applied so early on.

I'm not sure about the order questions, but I wouldn't stress out too much yet. You have a good gpa and great mcat for UTMB. There are still plenty of interview invites to come.

Also, if you still don't have an invite in a couple months, could there be an unknown problem with you app (bad letter, lac of EC's, leadership, etc.)? For now, I would just try to be patient! Good luck!

Just got a text from a friend who received an interview invite today from UTMB. I was of course happy for her, but instantly started wandering why I hadn't yet heard from them or any other texas school yet regarding an interview.

My GPA is a 3.67, MCAT is 33 and I applied everywhere in Texas. My recs are good (I assume) and my extras are good. The girl who got the invite has similar stats (a little higher GPA) and applied much, much later in the cycle than me... Should I be concerned? Am I just being unpatient. Why have I heard nothing even when I applied so early on?

Patience. It's far too soon in the application cycle to worry about interviews (or lack thereof). I'd say January is the earliest one should start worrying.

Perhaps it's your letters of recommendation, your prerequisites, or the way you filled out your secondaries?

I had LOR problems due to not having a second science professor...

Perhaps it's your letters of recommendation, your prerequisites, or the way you filled out your secondaries?

I doubt it's my secondaries, I filled all of them out very thoroughly and with great thought. Also, unless I'm blind, the teachers I had write my recs both adore me.

Patience. It's far too soon in the application cycle to worry about interviews (or lack thereof). I'd say January is the earliest one should start worrying.

*looks at 2016 chat*

:laugh: toooo late

My application was submitted by the end of June, but I have still haven't received a single interview invite. A friend of mine who applied at the end of July received an interview invite to UTMB only days ago.

Do med schools actually consider earlier applications first, or is their process mostly random? I don't understand why someone who submitted a month after me has already heard back. I fear that I have already been scrapped because of my low-ish GPA of 3.67. What gives?

I don't know until we have a clearer picture. It depends on your stats + EC + schools applied. Just throwing out a random GPA doesn't help much unless it's a LOW GPA, and yours isn't.

Med schools use rolling admission, so earlier apps are considered first.

Make sure you have the administrative stuff done right: all the required sci/nonsci/character reference LORs, all your secondaries (some require snail mailing), etc etc.

I also wouldn't worry NOW. Exceptional candidates are extended earlier interviews, while middling ones undergo several rounds of reviews by the adcoms.

3.67 is not low and isn't what's holding you back. mcat?

also, it's still pretty early so don't worry too much

Your MCAT and GPA are fine. I've seen a lot of applicants this cycle get invited in 3-4 weeks of being complete, so maybe there was something on your else app that kind of worried them?
Keep in mind though, UTSA is still running through OOS applicants, and UTH just started sending out invites.
Just be patient! Hopefully you'll hear back from them soon, but you might just have to sit tight and wait.

Really? You had to make a fourth thread this month asking the same bloody thing?
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=850483
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=846004
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=845408

Nobody can tell you if or when interview invitations will arrive for you. Everything you hear with regard to that will be a guess.

At this point you have zero control over whether you get an invite. Panicking about things you cannot control is worthless and unhealthy.

4 threads? Jesus. Considering that you also applied to every top school where your numbers aren't great, it doesn't surprise me if your application is full of faults or one of your letters sank you.

Merging related threads

I'm not sure about the order questions, but I wouldn't stress out too much yet. You have a good gpa and great mcat for UTMB. There are still plenty of interview invites to come.

Also, if you still don't have an invite in a couple months, could there be an unknown problem with you app (bad letter, lac of EC's, leadership, etc.)? For now, I would just try to be patient! Good luck!

Merging related threads.

Baylor
UT Houston
UTMB Galveston
UT Southwestern
UT San Antonio
A&M
Harvard
Yale
Pritzker
UCSD
UCLA (Keck)
Northwestern (Feinberg)
Stanford

check the school specific threads to see who has extended interviews

This might be an impossible question to answer, but on average, if I am competitive at a school, how much time will it take from being complete to being offered an interview? Days? A week? Months? Just a ballpark range if I am indeed a strong applicant for an average school. Thanks so much.

First of all, you can see which schools have already given out interviews here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=11384654#post11384654

Then go to the TMDSAS processing thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=823106

or the AMCAS verification thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=820933

Try to find names of people who were verified/processed around the same time as you.

Then see if they post anything about receiving interviews in the school-specific threads here: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=826

Good luck :luck:

I read that as a 33O (as in the O is the writing score), not 330 :laugh:

UCLA is not Keck, USC is Keck ._.

I'm hoping they start rolling in in september and go until march/april

I was told not to worry this early. Besides you are from a good state to apply from. You state schools got your back. Me on the other hand is living dangerously since I am from CA.

Why even say good luck at the end of this discouragement?

just curious OP,

TCOM is D.O and it's always good to be on the safe side these days, it gets harder every year

UCLA is Geffen ._.

I wouldn't expect interview invites from Harvard, Yale, Pritzker, UCSD, UCLA, Northwestern, or Stanford any time soon. I'm not sure about the rest.

Good luck!

I think he meant good luck with the other schools you're applying to. I think you have a good shot at TX schools, but you can check the "What are my chances" forum to get other opinions: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/forumdisplay.php?f=418

The Best State in the Union occasionally exports its talents to impoverished areas.

Those are some nice schools you applied to... Good luck :smuggrin:

edit: oh texas resident

wit all the texas schools...now

Merging related threads.

Just got a text from a friend who received an interview invite today from UTMB. I was of course happy for her, but instantly started wandering why I hadn't yet heard from them or any other texas school yet regarding an interview.

My GPA is a 3.67, MCAT is 33 and I applied everywhere in Texas. My recs are good (I assume) and my extras are good. The girl who got the invite has similar stats (a little higher GPA) and applied much, much later in the cycle than me... Should I be concerned? Am I just being unpatient. Why have I heard nothing even when I applied so early on?

I doubt it's my secondaries, I filled all of them out very thoroughly and with great thought. Also, unless I'm blind, the teachers I had write my recs both adore me.

*looks at 2016 chat*

:laugh: toooo late

4 threads? Jesus. Considering that you also applied to every top school where your numbers aren't great, it doesn't surprise me if your application is full of faults or one of your letters sank you.

Wow, relax man! We are all nervous about this process, and if this is how you respond to people asking for help, Good luck being a physician.

Burnett's law in action :laugh:

Yeah, probably. Have you read the "Goodbye Dr. Welby...Hello Dr. House" article on the main page though? I just find it extremely frustrating that the competition in the medical field has come with a decline in empathy.

To the OP: did you have someone read your PS and maybe even your secondaries? There are several grammatical errors and spelling errors in your posts here and I'm wondering if you did the same thing on your applications? Just a thought that maybe this is the reason for some delay.

This supermerged thread is full of win :laugh:

Bolded is answer to your question, and to OP.

P.S. Just saw how OP made 4 threads... And you wonder why some people dislike premeds.

To the OP: did you have someone read your PS and maybe even your secondaries? There are several grammatical errors and spelling errors in your posts here and I'm wondering if you did the same thing on your applications? Just a thought that maybe this is the reason for some delay.

No spelling errors, my essays were proofed by a few English professors and I reviewed each of them multiple times.

Sorry for the multiple threads, I've pretty much calmed myself down about the entire issue of invites as of now. I'm not the most savvy person when it comes to internet forums, and I suppose this whole application process has really tapped into my more neurotic side :).

Thanks guys for most of your posts, they have been helpful (most of them at least :p). No need to continue this discussion further unless you all really want to.