When should I move the goal post? / No II gang

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Idahomie

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Before I get flamed into oblivion, hear me out. I have obviously heard about the Thanksgiving rule for interviews and I'll preface by saying ill be ecstatic to get into any medical school.

I submitted 40 secondaries before July, 24th. I assumed I made an average school list where I would get an average number of interviews. So far I haven't been so lucky and am sitting with 0. When should I lower my expectations?

I'm probably being stupid and irrational, but I feel like if I was going to have a reasonably successful cycle I would have heard something by now. As of now, I would just be happy to slump my way through the application cycle and get in anywhere.

Am I being stupid, melodramatic, or proud? Or should I take the ego check and realize I'll probably be a reapplicant next year?

I guess I'm saying I was probably arrogant in thinking I was going to breeze through the cycle. This sucks and now I'm just hoping to make it through. Anyone else feel the same?

Edited because mobile is dumb.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
We are still inside the 5 mins of first quarter.

Reactions: 6 users
Before I get flamed into oblivion, hear me out. I have obviously heard about the Thanksgiving rule for interviews and I'll preface by saying ill be ecstatic to get into any medical school.

I submitted 40 secondaries before July, 24th. I assumed I made an average school list where I would get an average number of interviews. So far I haven't been so lucky and am sitting with 0. When should I lower my expectations?

I'm probably being stupid and irrational, but I feel like if I was going to have a reasonably successful cycle I would have heard something by now. As of now, I would just be happy to slump my way through the application cycle and get in anywhere.

Am I being stupid, melodramatic, or proud? Or should I take the ego check and realize I'll probably be a reapplicant next year?

I guess I'm saying I was probably arrogant in thinking I was going to breeze through the cycle. This sucks and now I'm just hoping to make it through. Anyone else feel the same?

It's still SO early. I don't think the Thanksgiving rule applies in general, but especially with COVID. You're an R until you're an A, but WE ALL ARE. That advice is helpful IN CASE you have to reapply, you've been doing things that continue to strengthen your application. Worst case scenario, though....is that you reapply. The haters on SDN talk about how reapplicants are frowned up...but if you're WWAMI, UW gives reapplicants a lot of love.

It's way too early to start catastrophizing and re-evaluating. I get that this process is stressful and saying, "just calm down" doesn't help. I'll say that you've put in the work (47 2° is madness), try to trust the process, try to not let Michigan Mondays define you, and remember that folks get accepted to UW or UM as late as February.

Have hope my fellow WWAMIan.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most people do need to reapply and you should assume you do too until you get an A.

Reactions: 1 users
Most people do need to reapply and you should assume you do too until you get an A.

I've always heard this, but i somehow had convinced myself that wouldn't be me because I had decent stats, applied broadly, had done my research, etc. Now I just think that was hubris on my part and I regret having that attitude for so long.

Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Not referring to you, OP, but SDNers really need to avoid the mindset of "I sent in my applications, so where are my interviews?"

To OP and fellow applicants, I think it's important to remember that med school admissions do not define us. I know that's easier said than done, but the truth is, as long as we put forward our best effort, presented ourselves in our writing the best we could, did everything possible to maximize our chances, we do not need external validation from strangers (early IIs/lots of As) to tell us that we are talented and compassionate people aspiring to do good in the world.

This entire process (pre-med journey, not just the application cycle) is long, unpredictable, and downright soul-crushing at times, but at the end of the day, getting into med school is just a single step to achieving our goals, and not the end goal itself. Re-doing this step (application process) would not be the end of the world. Embrace the uncertainty, and continue to develop as a person and become a better version of yourself in the meantime.

• Love
OP I got my first secondary in December, first interview in February and was accepted a week later. Hang in there and take up a new hobby or find a new obsession to distract you.

I had plenty of classmates who were called a couple of weeks before orientation too!

• Care
Thanks for the responses, everyone! After taking the night to think about it, I couldn't agree more with all of you. The application cycle has really shown me a lot of my personal weaknesses, and it can be tough to manage everything. I hope I can learn to stop trying to control things that are outside of my control.

I feel like motivation and desire can be a double-edged sword; Sometimes you want something so badly that it ends up hurting you in the process. I think I need to take a step back, find new hobbies, and breathe.

Thank you all for the advice.

Thanks for the responses, everyone! After taking the night to think about it, I couldn't agree more with all of you. The application cycle has really shown me a lot of my personal weaknesses, and it can be tough to manage everything. I hope I can learn to stop trying to control things that are outside of my control.

I feel like motivation and desire can be a double-edged sword; Sometimes you want something so badly that it ends up hurting you in the process. I think I need to take a step back, find new hobbies, and breathe.

Thank you all for the advice.
I've picked up SDN as a hobbie. Does that count?

I feel like this should be obvious, but I am big dumb and did not realize this, dang.