When should I send interest letters?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SDunkey

Reaction score
Question in title.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
East-coast USMD. Repeat Step 1, low Step 1 and low Step 2.

Applied to over 100 FM programs and only have 8 invites so far, with a couple of waitlist emails. I'm really worried since with my low stats, I've heard I should have 20+ on my rank list to hope for matching.

When should I start emailing schools that I haven't heard from yet? And what do I even say? Should I email my waitlist schools as well, even though they'll say they'll message me if any openings (don't want to annoy them with unnecessary emails).
With those stats and 8 IV offers, you're doing fine. Let it ride.

Reactions: 1 users
I want to say, for the record, how much I hate "letters of interest". What exactly do they mean? You're going to send them to every program you haven't heard from. Is it supposed to make me think that you're somehow better than the other applicants?

Just tired and ranting. Sorry.

Reactions: 5 users
I want to say, for the record, how much I hate "letters of interest". What exactly do they mean? You're going to send them to every program you haven't heard from. Is it supposed to make me think that you're somehow better than the other applicants?

No what about bringing attention to the fact you may have a connection to the area? If you’re already going to be rejected then what do you have to lose?

No what about bringing attention to the fact you may have a connection to the area? If you’re already going to be rejected then what do you have to lose?

In my view, the "I have a connection to your program or your geographic area that isn't apparent in my application" email is different from the desperate "I don't think I have enough interviews so please invite me to your program for these generic reasons" email.

Reactions: 2 users

I take them as they're interested in the program specifically enough that they're emailing. The connection to the area helps. I've been on both sides - I will say I did receive invites almost day after emailing when I was interested in a program, and I've seen an application get more attention with a personalized email. I don't see them as much of a negative, but I imagine I'm less jaded than aprogdirector...though it feels only a matter of time. Would you say you see it as a negative, @aProgDirector ?

Reactions: 1 user
I take them as they're interested in the program specifically enough that they're emailing. The connection to the area helps. I've been on both sides - I will say I did receive invites almost day after emailing when I was interested in a program, and I've seen an application get more attention with a personalized email. I don't see them as much of a negative, but I imagine I'm less jaded than aprogdirector...though it feels only a matter of time. Would you say you see it as a negative, @aProgDirector ?
I guess I'm just jaded. I assume that applicants send these emails to every program they have not heard from. Why not? Some programs (or people) will take these emails more seriously. Can they hurt you? Probably not. Although I find them annoying, I would never decide to not interview someone because of it.

What are good reasons to bring up other than geographic connection? Like program-specific characteristics or updates to application?

Program specific characteristics every time. Geography... ok, updates to application only if really relevant to an internship, which would be board scores. Publications probably won't sway intern directors as heavily.

But program specific characteristics let the PD / PC know that you looked at the website or talked to someone, which is stronger than "hey I'm still here." That being said, we can read through the lines and know if you're just picking highlights off the website and going after them. So don't email every program. You're more likely to slip up, write something that isn't as genuine or reads vague, and get caught by the PD who will throw your application away.