1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

WHen should i start preparing for the Mcat?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by vp826, Jul 19, 2006.

1. vp826

vp826 Member
    5+ Year Member

I am about to be a junior and i was wondering should i start preparing now or wait? Around what time do you guys recommend i take my first mcat exam? And finally when should i start applying for med schools?

PLease help I am soo lost as of right now.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. DiverDoc

DiverDoc KCUMB 2012
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    First of all, do you have the pre med requirements met? Like Bio, Chem, physics I and II and O chem completed? If so, then it is up to you. In 2007 you can take the MCAT 22 times per year. Its up to you and your study pace. For ex. I am taking the April 7th '07 MCAT and I study a little bit every day during the week and dont look at any material on weekends. I will continue this pattern until Januaray when I take a Kaplan course. Just depends when u wanna take it

4. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Take the MCAT by June of your senior year. These are the dates when it is offered: http://www.aamc.org/students/mcat/2007calendar.pdf. Start reviewing about four to five months in advance. Light review before then couldn't hurt, but you don't want to get burnt out. Make sure to include practice exams in your study schedule. Also have already completed and largely understood the pre-reqs diverdoc mentioned.

Use the score you'll get back one month later and your GPA to figure out a range of schools to apply to the summer before your senior year. You want your primary AMCAS application in as early as possible, sometime in June or July that summer. Interviews and secondary applications will start soon after. Hopefully around March of your senior year, you'll have an acceptance in hand. Good luck! :luck:

5. vp826

vp826 Member
    5+ Year Member

I am not sure if i understood your post correctly but I am supposed to start preparing for the mcat's in jan. of my junior year?

6. luckycharms08

luckycharms08 all it takes is one =)
    2+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I think you mean by June of your junior year.

7. quadmanturbo

quadmanturbo Member
    2+ Year Member

prepare now!!!!!!!!!!! if you want to have a good chance of going to med school after your fourth year...........if it doesn't matter to you.......then you can study whenever u feel like it

8. vp826

vp826 Member
    5+ Year Member

oo kk.. yea that kinda confused me. i am like you supposed to get into med school then take your mcat.

damn this is gonna be kinda hard. i havent taken the chem classes yet. so far i have the bio and math classes under my belt. i gotta take chem classes this fall semester.

9. Dr Durden

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My bad, definitely meant June after Junior year but before Senior year.