When should I start shadowing/clinical volunteering?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dtinox

Reaction score
Hi y'all, I'm a freshman just starting out college as a premed. I got involved in research and extracurriculars but I'm worried I might be biting more than I can chew right now, so I was wondering what a good framework would be? In addition, I was wondering what exactly counts as clinical volunteering and how do I find opportunities, since I'm a bit lost on that front? Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I would apply to the nearest hospital volunteer position ASAP. I don't know what school you attending/where it is, but for my hospital, applying->interviewing->onboarding->training->first shift was literally over 6 months of waiting...I only applied for the position after my first freshman semester (taking the 'get your academic feet on the ground first' advice) but since it took so long, I only started volunteering early sophomore year and then COVID cancelled everything, so I'm currently at like 20 hours and am applying next cycle...

Also, the bare minimum hours/week for hospital volunteering, at least for me, was 2 hours, which is completely manageable if it's your only activity even if you want to focus completely on academics. So even if you apply right away and manage to get in quickly it's not really a burden, plus longevity is a big plus from what I've read!

Reactions: 1 users
Clinical volunteering is anything that has you interacting with patients. Look at your local hospital or university affiliated hospital for opportunities. You could also look into scribing or becoming an EMT-- these aren't volunteering but they're clinical hours.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You've gotten involved with research already, as an incoming freshman? Wow!

Every hospital has a volunteers office. Many other facilities such as planned parenthood clinics and the like also have opportunities for volunteers. Right now, in some locations, volunteer opportunities are on hold due to Covid-19 but they may be coming back. Start with the health care setting closest to you (to reduce the time you'll spend traveling) and ask about opportunities to help patients. NICUs look for people to cuddle newborns, children's hospitals look for people to play with patients who are confined to bed or to enterain/supervise pateints in playrooms and outpatient waiting rooms, emergency rooms and in-patient units often need sitters to supervise patients who need to be reminded not to try to get out of bed without assistance, and the list goes on.

Shadowing as a 2nd year student would be soon enough.

Reactions: 1 users
You've gotten involved with research already, as an incoming freshman? Wow!

Every hospital has a volunteers office. Many other facilities such as planned parenthood clinics and the like also have opportunities for volunteers. Right now, in some locations, volunteer opportunities are on hold due to Covid-19 but they may be coming back. Start with the health care setting closest to you (to reduce the time you'll spend traveling) and ask about opportunities to help patients. NICUs look for people to cuddle newborns, children's hospitals look for people to play with patients who are confined to bed or to enterain/supervise pateints in playrooms and outpatient waiting rooms, emergency rooms and in-patient units often need sitters to supervise patients who need to be reminded not to try to get out of bed without assistance, and the list goes on.

Shadowing as a 2nd year student would be soon enough.

I see, thank you so much! Does it matter if it's at a university-affiliated hospital or not?

I would apply to the nearest hospital volunteer position ASAP. I don't know what school you attending/where it is, but for my hospital, applying->interviewing->onboarding->training->first shift was literally over 6 months of waiting...I only applied for the position after my first freshman semester (taking the 'get your academic feet on the ground first' advice) but since it took so long, I only started volunteering early sophomore year and then COVID cancelled everything, so I'm currently at like 20 hours and am applying next cycle...

Also, the bare minimum hours/week for hospital volunteering, at least for me, was 2 hours, which is completely manageable if it's your only activity even if you want to focus completely on academics. So even if you apply right away and manage to get in quickly it's not really a burden, plus longevity is a big plus from what I've read!

Sounds good, thank you!

Clinical volunteering is anything that has you interacting with patients. Look at your local hospital or university affiliated hospital for opportunities. You could also look into scribing or becoming an EMT-- these aren't volunteering but they're clinical hours.

Kevin W, MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Ah ok, is there a difference between clinical volunteering and pure clinical hours when it comes to applying to med school?

Conquer with 6 months waiting, even after that your schedule may not work out as by that time you had already jumped another semester/Qs.

I'm in the same boat! I am only at around 20 hours for clinical volunteering and 4 hours of neurosurgical shadowing. Covid-19 ruined everything for me. I'm applying next cycle and I'm clueless on what I would do regarding the clinical experience.

To you and the other person with low shadowing hours: If time allows you could see if hospitals nearby are looking for scribes. I know most are telescribes at the moment, but it would still be good clinical exposure (mostly to the thought process of the doc). If they are hiring for in person and you're not afraid of possible COVID-19 exposure, I would do it. Try to avoid the big scribing companies though, getting hired through the clinic or hospital is 10x better.

As soon as feasible without destroying your grades...