When should i start studying for the MCAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yammy_A

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently going to be a sophomore this Fall 2014, and I was wondering when I should start studying for the MCAT? Also any good MCAT books that i should definitely buy?
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you're uncomfortable with the content (i.e. didn't do well in pre-reqs, took pre-reqs awhile ago, didn't learn much from pre-reqs, etc...), give yourself ~4 months to study for it (6-8 hours per day). If you're solid on content, 2-3 months should suffice.

Reactions: 1 user
If you're uncomfortable with the content (i.e. didn't do well in pre-reqs, took pre-reqs awhile ago, didn't learn much from pre-reqs, etc...), give yourself ~4 months to study for it (6-8 hours per day). If you're solid on content, 2-3 months should suffice.
Thanks! do you recommend any particular MCAT books?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! do you recommend any particular MCAT books?
Before I begin, keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion regarding what's effective review material. I took my MCAT roughly 1 year ago and was very confident about my preparation and knowledge after using the following materials:

In terms of sciences, Berkeley Review (BR) is phenomenal for both content review and practice questions. ExamKrackers (EK) is OK for practice questions but not so much for content; it's a bit sparse, imo. The Princeton Review (TPR) is outstanding for content review. WikiPreMed is a great source for learning physical sciences.

For verbal reasoning, get 101 EK Verbal and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal and do every single passage.

To put it all together, get all material provided by AAMC -- the science review stuff (can't remember what it's called) and the practice exams. Whenever you're doing practice questions/passages, make sure you time yourself so you know how to pace yourself on the real deal.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Before I begin, keep in mind that everyone has a different opinion regarding what's effective review material. I took my MCAT roughly 1 year ago and was very confident about my preparation and knowledge after using the following materials:

In terms of sciences, Berkeley Review (BR) is phenomenal for both content review and practice questions. ExamKrackers (EK) is OK for practice questions but not so much for content; it's a bit sparase, imo. The Princeton Review (TPR) is outstanding for content review. WikiPreMed is a great source for learning physical sciences.

For verbal reasoning, get 101 EK Verbal and TPR Hyperlearning Verbal and do every single passage.

To put it all together, get all material provided by AAMC -- the science review stuff (can't remember what it's called) and the practice exams. Whenever you're doing practice questions/passages, make sure you time yourself so you know how to pace yourself on the real deal.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for the advice!