When/Should I stop research second year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiedyeddog

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any tips on how I should handle doing research during M2, or if I should at all? I have done research (between 5-20 hrs a week) throughout most of M1 and I have been happy with my class grades.

If it makes a difference:
-Working in basic research, been doing lots of experiments on my own, happy with my freedom to do my own thing in the lab

-I will have submitted a literature review by the end of summer.

-Have no idea what step 1 studying should entail during second year? Do most people start after winter break??? Should I do nothing but study for classes and step 1 after winter break??

Members don't see this ad.

How much time does your school give you to study for Step 1?

Starting in January is risky unless you feel dedicated to keep it up the entire year. A lot of people try this method, only to realize they forget everything they learned during that study time anyway. I.e. this can be a real time sink and ineffective.

Best method is really to continue to concentrate on your current MS2 classes. To be honest, the best way to study for Step 1 is to be a good medical student and not fall behind on your actual course material. This way, Step 1 is a good review. Not a "learning this for the first time because I was distracted by Boards studying old material that I forgot anyway".

You should collect your resources in January-March (register for a test date, make a schedule, buy review books/flashcards, etc.). Start on some QBanks to get a sense of questions. Maybe give First Aid a good perusal if you don't already annotate it.

Bulk of studying should be done 6-8 weeks before the exam. Just need to dedicate 8-10 hours/days for that period. Do a ton of questions. Take a bunch of NMBE practice exams. Memorize all those good awful bugs/drugs. And you'll be set for a good score.