Do I need a derm research year?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

migi23

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Current M3 at a mid/low tier MD school interested in dermatology.I have 6 peer-reviewed publications (first author), 3 completed projects submitted to JAAD, and 7 ongoing projects which will be submitted in the next 6 months. 5 poster presentations. 4 years of clinical experience as an MA & 3 years working as a med interpreter during college. On the board of the derm interest group at my med school for the past 3 years. Volunteer at a free derm clinic a few times a semester and have been involved in fundraising events for the National Psoriasis Foundation and Melanoma Research Foundation for the past 2 years. My Step 1 is P/F and I passed, have not yet taken Step 2 but assuming I will do well. My school does not do class rank. I am not AOA.

I am not sure if I need a research year...I have publications but I would like to match at a residency program in California or New York. I don't have any ties to these places other than going to university in CA which is not a strong enough tie. Is the research year worth it to help open up more options for residencies since I'm coming from a mid/low tier school?
 
Last edited:
1. I love the specifics, but you're likely identifiable with this information. Just an FYI if that bothers you.

2. If your Step 2 CK is 250+ , I think you can match Derm. CA/NYC is a crapshoot because so many people want that area and I don't think doing a research you just so you can try to match there specifically makes sense. The research year would make more sense if you scored idk... 240 and had 1-2 publications. Unfortunately school name matters a lot too and you don't control that so it may be a bottle neck. I'm not saying people haven't done it. Look at match lists or residency pages at top programs and you'll see 1-2 examples per class of someone at an Ivy for a competitive field from a low tier US MD school...just know it's the exception not the rule.

To summarize, cut the details out and a research year won't bump you from an A- to an A+ candidate. It helps bring a C candidate to a B candidate. My thoughts anyway. If you spend 3 years doing research and publish meaningful research, that's different.