When should I submit AACOMAS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futureMD4294

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am taking my MCAT a bit late in the game, September 10th. Because of this late date, I am only applying to osteopathic schools with a cum: 3.65 and science: 3.5. With MCAT scores not being released until mid October, when should I submit my AACOMAS? Would it be ok if I submitted it right after my mcat date?

** I am working on gathering recommendation letters and will be starting to write personal statement soon**

Members don't see this ad.

Apply to a throwaway school, then wait. That way the app is ready to submit as soon as you get the scores and letters. Do not apply until you are ready. That is just my opinion.

Reactions: 1 users
I am taking my MCAT a bit late in the game, September 10th. Because of this late date, I am only applying to osteopathic schools with a cum: 3.65 and science: 3.5. With MCAT scores not being released until mid October, when should I submit my AACOMAS? Would it be ok if I submitted it right after my mcat date?

** I am working on gathering recommendation letters and will be starting to write personal statement soon**

Do you have an MCAT on file? If not, your app will not be verified until then as it would be incomplete. You'd have to wait for your September results and be verified.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you have an MCAT on file? If not, your app will not be verified until then as it would be incomplete. You'd have to wait for your September results and be verified.
No I don't have an MCAT on file. September will be my first attempt. I was hoping its not too late, as DO app cycles run late. I guess I'll have to wait and apply about 4 weeks before my scores release date?

Id have everything filled out, and step on it, the day your scores come through to ensure they get transmitted. It takes a day or two for scores to get uploaded to AACOMAS. Then you can hit "submit". Also please be sure to take the september MCAT and nothing later like Jan because some schools like NOVA dont take first attempt in Jan.
Gotcha, thank you much appreciate it :)

This is not true, you can be verified by AACOMAS without an MCAT score on file. That's why you apply to a throwaway school, that school just won't verify you or will just throw your app out because it doesn't have an MCAT score. That way you can be verified and as soon as your score comes out upload it to AACOMAS and apply to all the schools you are really applying to

Reactions: 1 user
This is not true, you can be verified by AACOMAS without an MCAT score on file. That's why you apply to a throwaway school, that school just won't verify you or will just throw your app out because it doesn't have an MCAT score. That way you can be verified and as soon as your score comes out upload it to AACOMAS and apply to all the schools you are really applying to

I remember people telling me exactly as Ive written. I HOPE I am wrong, on this then, because in the case of the OP it would suck to wait that long. But again, it was a lot of people telling me that a score would need to be on file.....not saying you are wrong, or I am right, just as long as the right information goes out....

hope someone else can chime in on this....

You are CORRECT. I am wrong. I literally just called my friend and said you can be verified. Sorry for the incorrect information. I deleted that post for the sake of not confusing anyone.

Hm this makes more sense! So instead of just applying to throwaway schools, can I also apply to other schools that I want to attend without an mcat score? I figured they'd just get it once scores have been released.

When you have the best possible app.

The pre-med psychosis of "apply on 6/1" doesn't apply to DO. The cycle is much longer. You're fine until T-giving.

Hm this makes more sense! So instead of just applying to throwaway schools, can I also apply to other schools that I want to attend without an mcat score? I figured they'd just get it once scores have been released.

Can? yes, should? No. Often you can run into issues like the school throwing away your app because "your MCAT score doesn't meet the cutoff" (as if you could ever get an actual zero...) or other dumb things. It's safer to just submit to the schools after you have a complete app. @DrMikeP can attest to these struggles I believe.

Can? yes, should? No. Often you can run into issues like the school throwing away your app because "your MCAT score doesn't meet the cutoff" (as if you could ever get an actual zero...) or other dumb things. It's safer to just submit to the schools after you have a complete app. @DrMikeP can attest to these struggles I believe.
Yes, do a throwaway school and wait until your score is in to submit the rest. It will save you grief and automatic rejections at some schools!!

Ultimately schools won't seriously consider your app until the mcat is in anyway, well except for LECOM and their odd act/sat thing. There is a thread on that on sdn so you might could apply there earlier.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yes, do a throwaway school and wait until your score is in to submit the rest. It will save you grief and automatic rejections at some schools!!

Ultimately schools won't seriously consider your app until the mcat is in anyway, well except for LECOM and their odd act/sat thing. There is a thread on that on sdn so you might could apply there earlier.

Best of luck

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Thank you. Do you think my MCAT date will hinder my acceptance to osteopathic?

No. The score is far more important than this date. As was said before, the DO cycle is much longer.

Thank you. Do you think my MCAT date will hinder my acceptance to osteopathic?
If you make <~501 yes likely, as applying early as possible can help with weaker apps and lower scores won't make cutoffs that often increase around August'ish time-frame.

IF you make a competitive score and don't drag around at all in any other step, then No! It won't help it for sure, but it shouldn't hurt at a majority of schools.

The majority of DO applications come in toward mid to end of July through Sept and DO schools do a ton of interviewing in Sept-December. DO students don't have to put down deposits to hold seats until mid December, so things don't start to solidify until closer to December. From what I saw at my university those not getting any love from MD schools often don't freak out and start the DO process until around November-January. You don't want to drag around and get stuck competing with MD reject students who have a 3.65 and 509 MCAT. So October is on the edge, but with a strong application and MCAT score you still have a reasonable chance with most programs. Just get everything ready and make sure you submit a solid October application. A bigger mistake is applying before you are ready and bombing the MCAT! A 495 even in June often means you'll be applying next year.

Perhaps it's my limited perspective of a few years (and maybe related to changes) but I have seen DO schools appear to fill classes sooner this year than last and every year the scores increase.

If you make <~501 yes likely, as applying early as possible can help with weaker apps and lower scores won't make cutoffs that often increase around August'ish time-frame.

IF you make a competitive score and don't drag around at all in any other step, then No! It won't help it for sure, but it shouldn't hurt at a majority of schools.

The majority of DO applications come in toward mid to end of July through Sept and DO schools do a ton of interviewing in Sept-December. DO students don't have to put down deposits to hold seats until mid December, so things don't start to solidify until closer to December. From what I saw at my university those not getting any love from MD schools often don't freak out and start the DO process until around November-January. You don't want to drag around and get stuck competing with MD reject students who have a 3.65 and 509 MCAT. So October is on the edge, but with a strong application and MCAT score you still have a reasonable chance with most programs. Just get everything ready and make sure you submit a solid October application. A bigger mistake is applying before you are ready and bombing the MCAT! A 495 even in June often means you'll be applying next year.

Perhaps it's my limited perspective of a few years (and maybe related to changes) but I have seen DO schools appear to fill classes sooner this year than last and every year the scores increase.
Thank you for so much useful information. Seems like I just need to knock out this mcat in 11 weeks. Time to get to work.