When should one make a LinkedIn account?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

SeekerofTruth

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm just wondering when the best time is to make a Linked In account. I recently started hearing about it and I read a few articles saying college students should make one as well. Is it that good? Does it help with a job search in the future?
 
It is just another way to make connections. It is like a professional facebook. You list job experience and skills with a summary of your education.
 
i started one sometime during college. fully set it up when one of my professors added me
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
O god I completely forgot about mine until I read this post. College is a good time as any to make one. I usually ignore mine mostly.
 
I have been underwhelmed to say the least. It is certainly no substitute for actual networking, whether or not it compliments networking I will leave up to you to decide.

Someone once said they mistook it for an email generating service, which I found insightful and hilarious.