When should we call our programs now that the word is out?

Started by Rael
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Rael

Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What's the protocol now? Do we call our program's residency director and thank them and all that good stuff. When are we supposed to do this? What else are we supposed to do? I can't think anymore, too excited!

Congratulations to everyone that has matched. I hope everyone is happy with the outcome.

Oh, when do we find out the names of our colleagues who matched at the same institution? Do they tell us or is this something we just have to wait on until orientation day?
 
Rael said:
What's the protocol now? Do we call our program's residency director and thank them and all that good stuff. When are we supposed to do this? What else are we supposed to do? I can't think anymore, too excited!

Congratulations to everyone that has matched. I hope everyone is happy with the outcome.

Oh, when do we find out the names of our colleagues who matched at the same institution? Do they tell us or is this something we just have to wait on until orientation day?

You'll likely get an email from your program with the names of the others who matched.
 
I don't think there really is a protocol post-match. I called my PD-to-be either that same afternoon or the next day, I forget.

My fellow-PGY1's-to-be weren't officially announced either. It's just that the coordinator was mass-mailing so much stuff to a bunch of the same email addresses over and over that one day I just hit Reply All and said a "Hi this is who I am, looking forward to meeting you in July" etc.

A couple of folks replied 🙂

Welcome to residency, where people stop telling you what to do and you have to figure what works for yourself. In case you're wondering, this is a good thing 👍
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
deschutes said:
My fellow-PGY1's-to-be weren't officially announced either. It's just that the coordinator was mass-mailing so much stuff to a bunch of the same email addresses over and over that one day I just hit Reply All and said a "Hi this is who I am, looking forward to meeting you in July" etc.

Haha I did that too and only one person replied and that was one of the incoming fellows.

I think I received an email from the PD within a few days, then a smattering of mailings and emails over the next few months until start date. There is usually also a crapload of paperwork you have to fill out.
 
Rael said:
What's the protocol now? Do we call our program's residency director and thank them and all that good stuff. When are we supposed to do this? What else are we supposed to do? I can't think anymore, too excited!
?

Are we really supposed to call or e-mail PDs? I am imagining they are busy enough...do they really want to hear from us? And what do you say if you do e-mail/call?
 
miko2005 said:
Are we really supposed to call or e-mail PDs? I am imagining they are busy enough...do they really want to hear from us? And what do you say if you do e-mail/call?

I don't know if you're supposed to, but I did. I just sent a quick note to say Hi and that I was happy i was going there. It probably does not matter.