When should you be complete to be considered early

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

polyploidy516

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I would like to know when is the latest one should be complete in order to considered early? Would being complete in the mid/end of July still be considered early after one submits in June?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, anything later than late July is considered late. To make life easier, get everything done as early as possible. Especially Letters, and transcripts.

From what I've seen, anything later than late July is considered late. To make life easier, get everything done as early as possible. Especially Letters, and transcripts.

Yeah, I plan on having my entire application verified with secondaries submitted by the middle to end of July. I will definitely make sure to have everything in ASAP

Any other advice would be appreciated..Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear that some schools don't give out secondaries until August. If you want to be early, just pre-write secondaries.

If you have everything in and you're verified by mid to late August then I'd consider you "early." It's really when you start running into September and especially October that you start getting yourself into trouble. June/July is more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 user
@LizzyM has often said that you should submit your primary by July 4th to be considered early.

If you have everything in and you're verified by mid to late August then I'd consider you "early." It's really when you start running into September and especially October that you start getting yourself into trouble. June/July is more than adequate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What applicants don't foresee is how bloody long it takes to be verified. As @nemo123 reminds us, having the appie submitted by July 4th is a good target; after that it is out of your hands.

I'd consider 'early' having a complete application by the time school starts in the fall. Some schools make this more difficult by not sending out secondaries until mid to late August, but it's a good target. However, as LizzyM says, there is a long lag in getting verified, and it seems to be getting longer each year. I think there were people who submitted on the second day last year who waited 4-6 weeks to get verified.

So, send in your application ASAP.

I appreciate all of your clarifications! I am actually anticipating on submitting my application in the first 2 weeks of June (as I have to wait for spring semester grades to be recorded). From the 2013-2014 AMCAS verification thread, it seems that submission around the first two weeks should get you verified by the middle of July at the latest. During this lag time, I plan on filling out all the secondaries I receive ( with the prompts being on SDN) and hope to be complete at the majority of all the schools that I will apply for by the middle to end of July or early August at the latest ( I have read that some schools take a while to mark an app as complete).

Do you think that this is a fine timeline to follow to get the "early advantage" aka the best chances of securing an interview? I really would like to know this particularly since I do have a lower than average gpa for some of the schools and really want to increase my likelihood of getting an interview at these schools ( no matter how small they may are).

your final clarifications would be truly appreciated. Thank you once again for everything.

This is exactly the kind of sdn fear mongering that drives so many people to utter neuroticism, and it's not supported by the evidence, either the direct reports of adcom members who post here, AMCAS's own reports, or even the SDN verification thread.

Last year, in the midst of all the delays in processing, the AAMC released an announcement in the last week of June indicating that roughly 1/3 of the eventual final applicant pool had submitted their primaries (they released the raw number that I'm too lazy to look up now, but it ended up being about 1/3 of the applicant pool). People who submitted in the last week of June were verified in early/mid August.

What does this mean? It means that the median completion time falls sometime in August, maybe Sept depending on how much AMCAS drags their feet verifying.

Additional important signposts are that AMCAS doesn't release ANY applications until the end of June, and many schools don't open up their secondaries until sometime in July anyway.

So you can quibble with the exact definition of 'early', but given that you can be complete in mid August and still beat the majority of the applicant pool to the punch, later than late July is not 'late' to anyone but neurotic premeds on SDN. Everyone is so focused on early vs. late that they forget it's possible to be neither.

Important to note that everything I've said above refers to completion date (primary verified, secondary submitted, MCAT scores in, etc). If you submit your AMCAS later than late June/first week of July you're probably in for a bad time.

Last edited:
Hey all, I would like to know when is the latest one should be complete in order to considered early?

June 3rd at 9:30 AM EST

Would being complete in the mid/end of July still be considered early after one submits in June?

If you want to be early, June 3rd at 9:30 AM EST. You can submit an application with only one school listed in order to get verified early. Delay your application and you risk running into a 2 month verification process because, frankly, the application service is an outdated mess. As you do wait for secondaries to come in, you can pre-write them using the school-specific forum (these are reused a vast majority of the time, use the 2013-2014 threads to find last year's secondaries if necessary).

Is it fear mongering by saying that this should be a standard? Maybe. But the application process is fickle, you ought to give yourself every possible advantage, and saying that delaying several weeks to submit is fine implies reassurance you can delay - complacency. Life isn't fair, don't put yourself at any disadvantage you can avoid.

Do plenty of people get in without early applications? Of course. But being the earliest you can be while creating the best application you can is better 100% of the time.

I really appreciate your clarifications! I will definitely submit my application around the first 1-2 weeks of june ( hopefully on day one) and will have a quick turn around of secondaries so that I can get the early advantage as I really want to get into certain top schools and really want to maximize my chances.

thanks again!