When to apply to SMP Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gill_97

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied to medical schools this cycle, and I am still waiting for decisions from many medical schools (I haven't got any II yet). So I am looking at other options, including SMP programs. I would like to wait till late November/early December to hear back from med schools. However, most of the SMP programs are already accepting applications and are rolling-admissions. I understand that it is better to apply early, but would it be too late to wait till December? Will my chances of admission to SMP be significantly reduced?

Members don't see this ad.

Just be sure about this. An SMP program can make or break you. You must get straight A's or something close to that. Otherwise, if you don't do well, it is unlikely you will get admitted to a US school. Depending on your application, it may be worth taking a gap year to build on ECs, and possibly retake the MCAT if that is your issue. If it's your GPA, then try your best to figure out where your study habits went wrong, and try to address these. If you end up doing an SMP, that will be paramount. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just be sure about this. An SMP program can make or break you. You must get straight A's or something close to that. Otherwise, if you don't do well, it is unlikely you will get admitted to a US school. Depending on your application, it may be worth taking a gap year to build on ECs, and possibly retake the MCAT if that is your issue. If it's your GPA, then try your best to figure out where your study habits went wrong, and try to address these. If you end up doing an SMP, that will be paramount. Best of luck!
What is the required MCAT?

Just keep in mind there is a difference between a true SMP with linkage and just a one year program. For example, mine is in pharmacology with no linkage (although it does me favors) to my school.

Just keep in mind there is a difference between a true SMP with linkage and just a one year program. For example, mine is in pharmacology with no linkage (although it does me favors) to my school.
What was your gpa?

What was your gpa?
Around 3.1. As stated before SMP will make or break you and I think usually people who apply don't really need it, they just think they need it (people with 3.5+). But whatever you choose to do in your gap year is up to you as long as you do it effectively :).

Thanks for all the responses. I applied this cycle with a 3.4x, 509 MCAT. I am on 5 pre-II holds, so don't really know what to expect. I applied to some DO, but prefer MD programs. I was interested in SMP programs because they can help me improve my academic record, and some even train for MCAT. Are SMP programs really hard to succeed in? I mean, if I am paying $50,000+ to become more competitive and get into medical school, why is the case with these programs? Are all SMPs like this?

Thanks for all the responses. I applied this cycle with a 3.4x, 509 MCAT. I applied to some DO, but prefer MD programs. I was interested in SMP programs because they can help me improve my academic record, and some even train for MCAT. I would definitely look more into the programs that have an actual linkage, and try to use my gap year wisely. Are SMP programs really hard to succeed in? I mean, if I am paying $50,000+ to become more competitive and get into medical school, why is the case with these programs? Are all SMPs like this?
You don't need an SMP, you need a good school list and app.

Based upon the material in our SMP, I'd say it's about 1/2 to 1/3rd as difficult as the COM itself.

SMPs are auditions for med school. If you can perform at an 85% or higher, you can handle med school.

Reactions: 1 user