when to apply

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whispers

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Okay is the first or second week of october too late to have my application complete.
thanks up front

Members don't see this ad.

Depends on what you mean by "complete". I don't think Dean's Letters even come out until November. But if you manage to have the rest of your application in, photo and all, you're doing swell.

whispers said:
Okay is the first or second week of october too late to have my application complete.
thanks up front
Many people submit their ERAS applications online as early as the first week of September. You don't need Dean's Letters to secure interviews. Some programs will offer you interviews just based on your ERAS application even when you don't have any letters uploaded into the system. If you get your letters uploaded sometime in October, that's fine.

Just beware that interview slots can fill up during Sept and October and that if your application is not complete by November...even if you get an interview...the days that you can select for a particular interview could be limited.

Early application = early interview invites = maximum travel flexibility.

Members don't see this ad :)
The earlier the better. As has been said, you don't have to submit everything at once, basically just the biographical info and PS. So just submit it. No reason not to unless you are an anal retentive person who vascillates over your personal statement for a year.

AndyMilonakis said:
Some programs will offer you interviews just based on your ERAS application even when you don't have any letters uploaded into the system.
When Andy says "your ERAS application", he specifically means the Common Application Form (CAF) part of ERAS, which is like making up a curriculum vitae. In here you get to enter info about your personal and educational background, awards and honours, research experience etc.

http://www.aamc.org/students/eras/resources/start.htm
(see fourth link about the CAF)

This is usually the first part of the overall ERAS application that is made available by applicants to the programs that will download your information, as early as September.

Other parts of your overall application should steadily (but usually not-so-steadily) trickle in. But if your CAF info manages to wow a program, they may offer you an interview as early as September.

Therefore time is of the essence.

thanks you guys :0)
You know I really love path people much cooler then the rest.

whispers said:
thanks you guys :0)
You know I really love path people much cooler then the rest.

Great thread! I've been wondering about this exact issue. Should one submit their application Sept 1 if one has everything but 1-2 LOR? I was told that programs may get confused in all the fracas and may not download or compile additional information once available. Is this true? I guess I really don't understand how it works on the program side of the process...

fatboy said:
Should one submit their application Sept 1 if one has everything but 1-2 LOR?
Yes. Why wait? You have very little control over what your letter-writers will do. Best get everything else in the moment you can.

fatboy said:
I was told that programs may get confused in all the fracas and may not download or compile additional information once available. Is this true?
The short answer is, waiting to submit your app won't help :) Think about it - if it's only your LoRs that are missing, then you're losing ground by not submitting the rest of your application materials. If programs re-download whenever they choose to re-download (this part of things doesn't make perfect rational sense), then your best bet is to maximize your availability, which means submitting early.

When I applied, I received my first couple of interview requests the same week I submitted (I waited about a week in case there were glitches with the system). And only one of my LORs was in at the time.