When to ask for a LOR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Should I ask for a LOR at the end of my clerkship or should I wait until my preceptor assigns me a grade (usually takes about 2 months from the time we finish the clerkship)? Or should I wait until the end of 3rd year when all of my clerkship grades are in?

bb

Members don't see this ad.

Should I ask for a LOR at the end of my clerkship or should I wait until my preceptor assigns me a grade (usually takes about 2 months from the time we finish the clerkship)? Or should I wait until the end of 3rd year when all of my clerkship grades are in?

bb

Unequivocally, ask right when the clerkship is over. You should be able to tell if the preceptor liked your work and if you worked hard. The attendings see so many medical students over the course of a year that, unless you're exceptional, you'll fade into anonymity if you wait too long.

They obviously don't need to write the letter now, but you're doing them a favor by planting the seed. That way they can take down some notes about you, so it's easier to compose when the time comes.

As unsolicited tangential advice, make sure you've asked for them by no later than July. The reward for having a complete application on day 1 of ERAS can't be overlooked for some programs.