When to ask for a raise as an associate?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iono101

Reaction score
I just finished my 1st year as an associate and I’m thinking of asking to raise my daily income from 30% of adjusted production to 32%.

Is this fair? When should I ask— before the annual review or directly after? This is my first year out after my GPR. Currently producing between 60-70k per month in the same office as the owner and another associate.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes this is fair. Please ask for it. 32% should be an easy ask after first year experience especially since you are producing well.

Now is the time. You could probably go even higher than 32%. Just be careful how you word it. Not “I deserve a raise”, but rather “Thank you for the opportunity. I’ve grown immensely over the past year and am consistently producing. Would you consider a raise to X%?”

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Is your total daily production up considerably from 3, 6 and 9 months ago?
If your production is the same now as when you started, the boss might be better off with a new associate right out of school.

Is your total daily production up considerably from 3, 6 and 9 months ago?
If your production is the same now as when you started, the boss might be better off with a new associate right out of school.
Its much higher. When I started I was 40-50k/ month. Last month was my best at 112k. I get along well with the team and the patients seem to like me.

Its much higher. When I started I was 40-50k/ month. Last month was my best at 112k. I get along well with the team and the patients seem to like me.
112k in a month is pretty wild. Can I ask where you're located? Private or corporate?

Private. Decent sized city in MI 2 hours from Chicago.

Are regular raises for associates a thing? I hate to be that guy, but I don't see it, especially 1 year out.
That being said, you seem to be in a really great situation, and you seem to be making your doctor owner plenty of money. They may acquiesce but I would tread very lightly. You may sour a very good working relationship. If I were you, rather than ask for a raise, I would ask for a buy in timeline.

what kind of office where a new grade who only did gpr makes 70 k a month .. That is really rare. I wouldn't even risk losing such a job
what 32% even mean . you are getting 30% now.. 32 is no real difference, either ask for 35% or 40% or don't ask at all till next year.
But I wouldn't risk it so soon. I would ask next year for higher than %32

I just finished my 1st year as an associate and I’m thinking of asking to raise my daily income from 30% of adjusted production to 32%.

Is this fair? When should I ask— before the annual review or directly after? This is my first year out after my GPR. Currently producing between 60-70k per month in the same office as the owner and another associate.

You can try to get a raise but I doubt you will get it.

It’s a supply demand thing. Lots of new grads can replace you unless you are working extremely rural etc.

Reimbursement is down if not stagnant.

Overhead is up from giving raises and supply costs.

Giving a raise to a high earner isn’t in the practice best interest unless you are 100% worth it and or you are irreplaceable. Unfortunately there are lots of replaceable new grads with 500k loans- that will work for less then 32% production.

Most likely the owner would probably give the raise then put an ad out on Craigslist for 30% production and hire another new grad- while firing you at will. Hate to say it but that’s just how associateships roll.

You can try to get a raise but I doubt you will get it.

It’s a supply demand thing. Lots of new grads can replace you unless you are working extremely rural etc.

Reimbursement is down if not stagnant.

Overhead is up from giving raises and supply costs.

Giving a raise to a high earner isn’t in the practice best interest unless you are 100% worth it and or you are irreplaceable. Unfortunately there are lots of replaceable new grads with 500k loans- that will work for less then 32% production.

Most likely the owner would probably give the raise then put an ad out on Craigslist for 30% production and hire another new grad- while firing you at will. Hate to say it but that’s just how associateships roll.
OP don’t listen to this boot licker. This dude is clueless, check his post history. You’ve grown as a producer 2x since you started. That alone has lowered the OH for the owner considerably and you are worth keeping as a $1M+ producer. Most new grads cannot do that. Heck most dentists do that, period.

They will most likely negotiate. Ask for 33.5% and compromise at 32% if that’s what you want. It’s reasonable on both sides I’m sure. Start thinking about ownership. Best of luck.

Reactions: 1 users
The only real way to make what you are worth, especially at the rate you are producing, is to own. Period.

Reactions: 1 users
Ask for a sliding scale. Perhaps if you produce 0-40,000 you get 30%, 40k-55k 31%, 55k-80k 33% and anything over 80k is 35%. This will give incentive to do better on your end and the owner will feel comfortable that you will continue to work towards producing.

Reactions: 3 users

If you are making 112k a month- you need to buy a practice. On a 60% OH practice- that is easily a 50-60k paycheck in one month work.

what kind of office where a new grade who only did gpr makes 70 k a month .. That is really rare. I wouldn't even risk losing such a job
what 32% even mean . you are getting 30% now.. 32 is no real difference, either ask for 35% or 40% or don't ask at all till next year.
But I wouldn't risk it so soon. I would ask next year for higher than %32
I think OP produces 70k month...while its great, i dont think it that outlandish to produce 70k a month as a new grad? I am a new grad and produce close to 60k a month and have been practicing for 3 months or so? I dont consider my hand skills special by any means lol

I think OP produces 70k month...while its great, i dont think it that outlandish to produce 70k a month as a new grad? I am a new grad and produce close to 60k a month and have been practicing for 3 months or so? I dont consider my hand skills special by any means lol
That's amazing. My gpr residency is around 60 k per yr and that's before taxes 🤡
But my friend signed a contract for 2 years and got like 200 k per year and that's in Florida..so I don't think many offices have this 60 k per month for new grads

That's amazing. My gpr residency is around 60 k per yr and that's before taxes 🤡
But my friend signed a contract for 2 years and got like 200 k per year and that's in Florida..so I don't think many offices have this 60 k per month for new grads
I think you're confusing production for pay lol

Yes this is fair. Please ask for it. 32% should be an easy ask after first year experience especially since you are producing well.

Agree with this.

I did not ask for raises or negotiate for higher compensation in my first 2 years of practice because I was afraid of hearing no. In my 3rd year, I started 2 positions and asked for high compensation off the bat. Thought I would get a no but they agreed pretty readily. I also asked for a $100/day raise at another position and they said also said yes.

Be your own advocate, be a hardass, and ask for what you deserve.

Agree with this.

I did not ask for raises or negotiate for higher compensation in my first 2 years of practice because I was afraid of hearing no. In my 3rd year, I started 2 positions and asked for high compensation off the bat. Thought I would get a no but they agreed pretty readily. I also asked for a $100/day raise at another position and they said also said yes.

Be your own advocate, be a hardass, and ask for what you deserve.

The worst someone could say is no and come back with a counter. They employer needs you - they literally cannot run their clinic without you. That is the pro and con of our industry. We cannot work from home and always have to go in - however we are essential.