When to begin observing? Sophmore?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted503049

Hi, my name is charity and I've begun my undergrad sophmore work. I was wondering if there's ever a time that's too early to begin obtaining my observation hours. My top choice school is CU Denver and I know that they require 40 hours in three different settings; however, I know it'll be important To get more hours than that in case I don't get my top choice and to make my application more competitive. Anyway, my question is, would it be okay to start obtaining hours this early or is it a better idea to wait until junior/senior year? Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I started freshman/soph year. Earlier the better, always.

Starting earlier will probably make it easier to make sure you get all the hours you need. Also seeing different settings is really helpful.

Volunteering at a place is a good way to have regularly scheduled observation hours. You will probably have to do little tasks like restocking supplies, making copies, etc. But they will probably also let you schedule times to only observe. Many places have limits on observation hours, so by volunteering you can get past these limits.

If you get in good at one place it can open up other doors. I worked part time at an aide at an outpatient clinic at a hospital, which lead to me working at two different inpatient clinics in the same hospital system. Also by building a good relationship some where will essentially ensure that you can get good letters of recommendation from PTs.

I stopped working at the outpatient clinic so I could work in inpatient for more hours. One of the volunteers was hired to replace me. So by volunteering put herself in a good position to get hired. Working as an aide is the best way to get hours, because you get paid.

I think by starting earlier you will have a better chance at an aide job because you will have more time to build a relationship, which could put you at the front of the line if a position opens up. It also means that you will be around longer when they are looking to hire someone. A clinic is probably more interested in hiring someone who is a sophomore or junior than a senior who is hoping to go straight from undergrad to PT school.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, my name is charity and I've begun my undergrad sophmore work. I was wondering if there's ever a time that's too early to begin obtaining my observation hours. My top choice school is CU Denver and I know that they require 40 hours in three different settings; however, I know it'll be important To get more hours than that in case I don't get my top choice and to make my application more competitive. Anyway, my question is, would it be okay to start obtaining hours this early or is it a better idea to wait until junior/senior year? Thank you!

Start when you have time, because you never know if you won't have time later. The more experiences you have, the more you will be able to talk about your experiences during interviews

There are numerous benefits to starting early. I don't think PT schools pay as much attention to how MANY hours you have but more so the quality of the hours and what you got out of them. They want to know how/what you learned from your experiences job shadowing and how this helped you decide to be a PT and why you think it will make you a good PT. I just got accepted to CU Denver (wooo!! top choice :D ) and in my interview they were definitely interested in what I had gained from my job shadowing experiences. Also, the longer you observe under one PT the better of a relationship you can build with them which will make for a great letter of recommendation.

Start asap and try to spend some quality time at a number of settings! This way you aren't rushed or cramming for hours in the end. Also, gives you time to meet potential LOR writers and develop good relationships with people.

It is better to start earlier: you will be able to get more experience, which is extremely important for your application, and you can take it easy and spend just a few hours a week observing. Besides, some places may require you to do at least 100 or at least 200 hours of volunteering in order to get their recommendation letter! I went to one hospital, they required 250 hours minimum and you would have to stay there for at least one year! You should call PT facilities in your area and see what their requirements on volunteering are.

i actually didnt start observing until the summer before my senior year. From then till about the end of January I accumulated around 170 hours in mixed settings (outpatient clinic, pediatrics, nursing home and hospital acute care) I still got accepted into programs. I guess you would be better off not putting it till the last minute like i did however lol.

To reiterate what everyone else is saying, start now! It's best to have MORE observation hours, then to not have enough when the time comes for you to apply. Having more hours will only be beneficial to you - the more exposure you have to different environments, the more you have to talk about in your interviews. You will also have the opportunity to form professional relationships with therapists that could write you a letter of recommendation.

I recommend that you try to find a paying job as a rehab tech (if you're able). Personally, I think that this is the best thing I ever did. I had the opportunity to view SO many different aspects of PT and I had great letters of recommendation from two PT's that I had worked with on numerous occasions. There were plenty of therapists at the hospital I worked at that offered to write me an LOR.

If you're not able to find a paying position, volunteer hours are great. I also recommend getting involved with your school's Pre-Physical Therapy club. And if they don't have one, then YOU should create it! Do whatever you can to beef up your application NOW, because PT is only going to get more competitive! Good luck!