When to begin preparing

Started by arazoza
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

arazoza

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am a second year pharmacy student and am very interested in doing a residency. I have been reading several of the posts on the forum and a question comes to mind. How early should one start talking with program directors and letting them know you are interested. Would it be best to do a rotation at the sites you are most interested in?
 
I am a second year pharmacy student and am very interested in doing a residency. I have been reading several of the posts on the forum and a question comes to mind. How early should one start talking with program directors and letting them know you are interested. Would it be best to do a rotation at the sites you are most interested in?

Are you working at a hospital currently? I would recommend making that the first step. If you have a chance to do rotation at the sites you are considering - go for that, there is no better way to evaluate the place than from inside. I would say most people start making contacts in the summer/fall of their P4 year...
 
I am a second year pharmacy student and am very interested in doing a residency. I have been reading several of the posts on the forum and a question comes to mind. How early should one start talking with program directors and letting them know you are interested. Would it be best to do a rotation at the sites you are most interested in?

I think it's a great idea to show interest early. Since the Match is over and currently some programs (like ours) are mostly concerned with the incoming residency class, I would start with attending the residency fairs next fall. Get your CV ready over the summer so you can easily add activities as you go through your third and fourth years. Doing a rotation at the sites will really give you a good look at what the residency will be like, plus the opportunity to talk to current residents to find out the pros and cons of a certain hospital. Good luck!