when to buy review material

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chromejs10

Computer Science/Pre Med
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all. I had a question about preparing for the MCATs. Basically, I want to start studying as soon as possible. Right now I am an incoming Junior in college and will most likely have to take post bacc pre med courses. However, I wish to start studying for the MCATs early so I can get the highest possible score. My question is:

How early is too early to start buying review books? I just finished reading the thread about "what were your scores and study habits etc." Is it too early to buy books such as Novas Physics or some EK books? These books are terribly expensive and I don't want to waste hundreds of dollars on books that will be outdated in the next few years.

Any thoughts?

Thanks a lot.

Members don't see this ad.

If you wanna buy the material, go ahead and buy it. The exam has basically consisted of the same material over the last several years. Its highly unlikely that the exam would drastically change within the next few years. Just know that more emphasis is placed on genetics in the BS section.

I agree with the above post. The MCAT will not change in the next few years, especially since the AAMC is still adjusting to their last major change to the CBT. You will be fine buying any recent MCAT edition and studying early is always a good idea if you have your pre-reqs already done. However since it seems like you have not taken the required courses, there is no need to rush into buying the review books. Why buy something that your not going to use yet? You could try purchasing some VR books though since it does not require any pre-existing knowledge. If you like some info or pointers on questions like "Where Should I Start?" try clicking on the link in my signature. Best of :luck:

Well one reason I am thinking about starting early is that I may start learning the required stuff before I actually take the class. If anything it would help me when I do end up taking the class. I expect I should get the ExamKrackers VB book since in all the threads I've read those were the best and the Nova book for physics. But what about bio, chem, and ochem? Are there any books that are so good that you may be able to learn the material from them? From what I've read, there are so many mixed views about how good the books are that it's hard to decide. I don't wish to spend hundreds of dollars on books that would serve little to no benefit.

By the way, excellent "where should I start" thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
I would highly suggest that you take the class beforehand. The MCAT is a conceptual test and expect that you know the material already so you can apply it one step further. I understand that you are eager to start early, but you could use that motivation into better use. Maybe spend that time buffing up your Extra Curriculums... or volunteering/working. If your post bacc does not start until fall, then I would only suggest reviewing the sciences that you have seen before. Maybe you took AP Biology or Chemistry in High School. If so, then I could see no harm in trying to relearn it again. However, it will take a lot of time which you would already be spending in post bacc and I could just see this as an inefficient use of time. Just my .02

I have to agree with BloodySurgeon, as far as GChem/OChem/and Physics is concerned. If you do want to get a jump, work on verbal, also working on Biology probably wouldn't hurt that much before taking the course as most Biology stuff is pretty straightforward. But as for the aformentioned subjects, there is alot of conceptual stuff where if you don't understand it in the beginning you can really twists yourself up further on down the line, I would wait to take the requisites or at least be in the class before hitting the review book.