WHEN to do FAFSA for medical school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TheBiologist

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I remember in high school, you did FAFSA in the fall and added every school you applied to even before you received any acceptances.

how does it work for medical school? should I apply soon and add all 18 schools I applied to, or wait until I get an acceptance?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Wait until you know where you're attending. There's no benefit to apply FAFSA early for med school.

Members don't see this ad :)
is there a deadline?

Not one that you'd need to worry about. If you'd be matriculating in Fall 2018, you could submit FAFSA after you decide where to matriculate. Technically, you could submit FAFSA long after classes started.

If you want funding for July/Aug matriculation, it would be wise to submit FAFSA by April/May in case there are any hiccups or verifications that need to take place.

The federal deadline for the 2018 school year is in 2019, so that wouldn't be an issue. However, your med school will likely prefer that you submit by about May because they may have to quickly process aid apps for those who come off the WL during the summer.

Last edited:
Since FAFSA now requires prior prior year tax forms, you can complete it whenever it opens and just have it ready to send to schools. This will make everything faster in the spring, since most schools will also have another, school-specific application for you to fill out. Most schools will also tell you on interview day that if you want a financial aid decision to come quickly after your admissions decision, you should send them the materials as soon as you can. So I would send FAFSA to all the schools you interview at - it wouldn't make sense to send it to all the schools you apply to since you have no chance of getting in unless you interview anyway.

Okay, I know this thread's a month old, but...

Can we add schools to the FAFSA after it's been completed? It's important for me to file early as I get married on Halloween and want to file as single. I was complete mid-September at most schools, so I've only heard back from one school so far.

Can we add schools to the FAFSA after it's been completed? It's important for me to file early as I get married on Halloween and want to file as single. I was complete mid-September at most schools, so I've only heard back from one school so far.

I could be wrong, but I don't think getting married now will impact your FAFSA since it asks for your tax return information from 2016. Don't quote me on that though. However, I am curious about adding schools. That's a question I had as well.

Actually just answered that one for myself, lol. How do I add a college?