When to do research for GI fellowships

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GYN DOC

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
When is the best time to start doing research in order to apply for a GI fellowship? I will be an incoming intern and am uncertain about when to schedule time for research or how to integrate it into my schedule. Is research always a requirement for a GI fellowship?

Members don't see this ad.

Gyn Doc...research has become a mandatory part of the application process. You should become actively involved in research as soon as possible. If you plan on applying during your secondar year of residency, you are going to want to have a few research projects, oral/poster presentation, and hopefully manuscripts submitted for publication to talk about during interviews.

Without these things you wont even be in the middle of the pack when it comes to applying for a fellowship position. Everyone who is a real candidate has strong board scores, good pedigrees etc... it is your research and subsequent letters of rec that will help you stand above the rest.

Start research immediately and plan on continuing it until the end of your fellowship...even if you only plan on being a clinical Gastroenterologist. I tell all my interns that they have three jonbs with the break down as follows:

Internship duties: 89%
Research duties: 10%
Sleep time: 1%

Good luck on Internship!

Research at our place for GI begins in intern year, as it is so competitive. Shoot for an abstract deadline of December 1st for DDW (Digestive Disease Week). Many applicants today have presented at a national GI meeting and have a publication in the GI literature (often from the abstract which they present).

Members don't see this ad :)
Do you mean December of intern year?! So you mean start working on it and get an abstract out in 6 months? Dude...crazy!

But probably necessary.

yeah...still trying to be a stem cell :) but unfortunately having a hard time narrowing things down!

When is the best time to start doing research in order to apply for a GI fellowship? I will be an incoming intern and am uncertain about when to schedule time for research or how to integrate it into my schedule. Is research always a requirement for a GI fellowship?

This is always a difficult question. I echo the suggestions of others: get involved with research early, and have something to show for it by the end of your intern year, because applications go in at the beginning of your R2 year. If you're aiming for a conference presentation, then you don't even have that long, because the deadline for sending in abstracts falls towards the middle of the year.

If this seems like a ridiculously tall task, it is. You're going to be working 80-100 hours a week on your ward months, and you've got to be a fairly driven beast if you're going to get much done on your 4 days off per month.

Alternatively, you could plan on applying for GI fellowship at the beginning of your R3 year. Then instead of feeling the pressure to produce some scholarly work at the end of your intern year, you would have until the end of your R2 year to produce it.

Obviously this would set you back one year and you would need to figure out what to do in the year after you finish residency. That could include locum tenens work, a chief residency year, being a hospitalist for a nonteaching service (e.g., autoconsults to neurosurgery, heart failure service, whatever arrangement your institution has), or even taking a year for doing research full time +/- some miscellaneous moonlighting. Often you will not be able to have your post-residency year plans settled that far in advance, so this strategy will probably require a higher tolerance for uncertainty than the usual track.

-AT.

Should've started yesterday... and yes i am serious!