When to Expect to hear back from schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fruitcup

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I submitted the large majority of my secondaries in early - mid July. When should I expect to hear back from schools? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Any time between now and spring.

Reactions: 4 users
I submitted the large majority of my secondaries in early - mid July. When should I expect to hear back from schools?

I'm hoping I hear back at least by August of 2018 at this point ;)

Honestly, I think it depends on the school. It will vary and you might not hear from some until the spring.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm hoping I hear back at least by August of 2018 at this point ;)

Honestly, I think it depends on the school. It will vary and you might not hear from some until the spring.
So does applying early not necessarily mean your app will be reviewed/responded to quicker than someone who applies later in the cycle?

Some schools have already started sending out interview invites, other schools start in mid-August or even September. All schools will stop giving invitations by Feb, many sooner than that. Rejections can happen anytime between now and then. If you get an interview, they'll let you know that day when to expect to hear about results. All of this is highly school dependant; you should check out the school specific threads for the schools you applied to.

It depends on the school. Some review them as they are received, some stratify them for review. There simply is no one a size fits all to the process. Overall, yes it is better to have them in earlier rather than later, but that is no guarantee it will be reviewed earlier at all schools.

Reactions: 1 user
So does applying early not necessarily mean your app will be reviewed/responded to quicker than someone who applies later in the cycle?

I've heard that there is really no way to know. Schools do not necessarily read applications in the order they are received. Some will give certain applicants priority so just because someone who was complete later than you has already heard doesn't indicate that you were passed over. Also, the applications may be reviewed by different people and someone may be taking his or her sweet time with the pile yours happens to be in. I am thankfully still finishing secondaries, which is keeping my mind off the rest of the process. But I promise to commiserate with you as soon as I'm done. Then we can stress together :)

Schools don't necessarily review applications in the order that they were complete. Lots of other factors influence priority. Unfortunately, it's just a waiting game once you submit- and that time is best spent off SDN. My mental health during this past cycle would have been better if I had done that! Keep yourself busy with stuff you enjoy, and news from schools will come

Reactions: 4 users
It means it will probably be looked at earlier, but it doesn't necessarily mean you will get a response earlier. You can, essentially, be placed on hold while they review other files before they decide what to do with you. And some schools don't outright reject until much later in the cycle.

Admissions is a stress-induced waiting game. Even if you are complete everywhere in July, you may hear from some schools quickly (i.e. getting interview invites in August and acceptances in October), hear later from other schools (interview invites in December, acceptances/waitlists in April), or hear nothing from them at all (but they thank you for the $$$ you paid for the secondaries).

Just sit back and let the cycle go in its own pace.

Admissions is a stress-induced waiting game. Even if you are complete everywhere in July, you may hear from some schools quickly (i.e. getting interview invites in August and acceptances in October), hear later from other schools (interview invites in December, acceptances/waitlists in April), or hear nothing from them at all (but they thank you for the $$$ you paid for the secondaries).

Just sit back and let the cycle go in its own pace.

Will we get letters of rejection from all schools that do not accept us? Or will some of us be in the dreadful no-mans land through August of next year?

Will we get letters of rejection from all schools that do not accept us? Or will some of us be in the dreadful no-mans land through August of next year?

Unfortunately, not all schools send rejection letters. I forget which ones specifically, but every cycle has few schools that send no communication at all and you don't know whether you got rejected until you see on an SDN school thread saying all interviews have gone out already and the class is full.

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, not all schools send rejection letters. I forget which ones specifically, but every cycle has few schools that send no communication at all and you don't know whether you got rejected until you see on an SDN school thread saying all interviews have gone out already and the class is full.

We need to make a list :(

It took me over a year to get rejected from one school. I'm also still on the waitlist for a school that I applied to in July 2015 (at least that's how I interpret it because they never sent me a rejection).

Reactions: 3 users
schools that practice silent - Google-haku +rejections+site:forums.studentdoctor.net

Ok I give up on mobile Google link formatting but search "schools that practice silent rejections site:forums.studentdoctor.net" look at a bunch and you should get a good idea. No one ever makes a full list, as is common when a thread is created for the purpose of compiling large amounts of useful info.

I submitted the large majority of my secondaries in early - mid July. When should I expect to hear back from schools? Thanks!
Patience is a virtue, the need for instant gratification is not.

Applications are stratified when they come in and secondaries are not sent out in chronological order of receipt of applications.

Personal growth opportunity here - you have no idea wtf is going on and no control over the process. Except to respond favorably and enthusiastically and promptly when they ask you to. Time to buff up on that zen and your capacity for writing repetitive secondaries.

And I daresay that sending rejection letters to mid-range applicants early in the process is something of a negative signal about the quality of the school, especially for mid and lower tiered schools.

And I daresay that sending rejection letters to mid-range applicants early in the process is something of a negative signal about the quality of the school, especially for mid and lower tiered schools.

Curious: why do you say that?

Emory does not it says nobody will be rejected during the cycle " All completed (AMCAS plus Supplemental) applications remain in review throughout the interview season. No completed applicant is rejected during the interview season."

Emory does not it says nobody will be rejected during the cycle " All completed (AMCAS plus Supplemental) applications remain in review throughout the interview season. No completed applicant is rejected during the interview season."

I saw that in my complete email - but do they eventually reject *after*?? How hard is it to send rejection emails to the multitude of people not on the waitlist?

"Just finished my last secondary, now I can relax" -Me.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA, shut up nerd!" -also me

Reactions: 2 users
Getting IIs in august is getting a quick response.

Haha I realize those were quick responses. That's not the point. I thought that most/all medical schools reviewed apps as they came in but the kind posters above explained that their own processes sort apps in different manners.

Haha I realize those were quick responses. That's not the point. I thought that most/all medical schools reviewed apps as they came in but the kind posters above explained that their own processes sort apps in different manners.

I know of a smaller SOM public that reviews apps by their own need. They're heavier male, so they try to interview/accept females early on. It's not unusual for many or most qualified non-hooked males to have to wait until winter to get an II. They mostly only accept instate, and probably nearly every qualified instate student gets an II eventually, but the timing will serve their needs (which is probably the agenda of all SOMs anyway.)