When to finish prerequisites?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Djax99

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do people try to finish all of their prerequisites before the MCAT? Additionally do people take biochemistry before the MCAT?

I'm a bit worried as I don't know if I will successfully be able to finish biochemistry before the MCAT. Is it fine to take it after or is recommended to take it at the same time. Additionally, would it be fine to take it at the same time as organic chemistry?

Members don't see this ad.

Your goal should be to do what it takes to have a great application, not to apply to medical school as quickly as possible. Many applicants take a gap year for that very reason.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, finish everything before the MCAT. Just like everyone else who gets in. Biggest 2 classes for material on the MCAT were biochem and physics 2.

Do people try to finish all of their prerequisites before the MCAT? Additionally do people take biochemistry before the MCAT?

I'm a bit worried as I don't know if I will successfully be able to finish biochemistry before the MCAT. Is it fine to take it after or is recommended to take it at the same time. Additionally, would it be fine to take it at the same time as organic chemistry?
You may not need all prerequisites finished before MCAT, but you DO need

1 year bio
1 year gen chem
1 year ohysics
First semester OChem (you can teach yourself carbonyl chemistry TBH)
First semester biochem

You will need to self teach: Psych, Sociology, how to read science, how to critically think for CARS.

I would recommend doing as many classes as you can beforehand, but these are the minimum that you MUST have finished in order to be confident.

Cell Bio, genetics, micro, biochem 2, ochem 2, intro physiology, and a clinically relevant psych course would be useful beforehand but are not necessary.

Reactions: 1 user

1 year bio
1 year gen chem
1 year ohysics
First semester biochem

You will need to self teach: Psych, Sociology, how to read science, how to critically think for CARS.

I would recommend doing as many classes as you can beforehand, but these are the minimum that you MUST have finished in order to be confident.

Cell Bio, genetics, micro, biochem 2, ochem 2, intro physiology, and a clinically relevant psych course would be useful beforehand but are not necessary.
This is probably the most reasonable/accurate reply yet OP.

Yes, finish everything before the MCAT. Just like everyone else who gets in. Biggest 2 classes for material on the MCAT were biochem and physics 2.

1 year bio
1 year gen chem
1 year ohysics
First semester biochem

I really don't think taking physics before the MCAT is necessary (although it is pretty easy to take early in college). There is so little physics on the test now that I think you can teach yourself. I agree with everything else here.

Reactions: 1 user
I really don't think taking physics before the MCAT is necessary (although it is pretty easy to take early in college). There is so little physics on the test now that I think you can teach yourself. I agree with everything else here.

They've dialed back physics I a ton, which is awesome since I hate it. Unfortunately there's still a lot of material from physics II, not just on C/P but also B/B, and some MCATs are quite physics heavy. Stuff like electrostatics, circuits, magnetism, sound, light/optics, fluids, thermo are all there. It is absolutely self teachable in the same way that any class is. The problem is while some people will get it easily, others won't necessarily and learning it through a class can help a lot.