When to get DO references

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tBw

totally deluded
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
On applying to DO schools they often ask for a reference from a DO. My question is, when should you obtain this? ie a doctor I have worked with offered to just give me the reference letter, but I thought it should go direct from them to the school without me having seen it. Unfortunately for me I am not applying till next year and this doctor is doing a year abroad and so won't be able to write and send it then. Should I just let him write it now and send copies to schools I am applying to next year, or do I have to get a different DO to help?

Thanks

onwis

Members don't see this ad.

At the school where I did my post bac my pre med advisor kept a file for me (and most pre health students) to store my letters. I filled out a form, gave it to the person writing the letter along with a stamped envelope addressed to my advisor's office. They write the letter, send to it my advisor and he sends the letter to the schools I request when I ask him to. The letters can stay in the file until you are ready to send them. You might check with your pre med advisor because I'm sure most schools operate like this.

Hope that helps

Hey USSDefiant

Thanks for the suggestion. It's a good one - however my schools premed do not provide this service, all they do is talk to you about which classes they think you should take, (and it's been my experience they even get that wrong!). So if anyone has any other suggestions about how to handle the references I am open to comments...

thanks
onwis

Interfolio.com is an online credentials portfolio company. I had my references sent to my pre-med advisor and to them. I think it now costs about 30 dollars for a year. Once you register with them you let them know who they will be receiving a letter from and you print out a form which states that the letter/reference is confidential. (if thats the case). You give this to the referring person and they send it with the letter or they can go online and type in the reference. I went to graduate school at UVA and they stopped keeping letters for students and referred us to this service.