When to have children?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

physicaltherapy

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am 25 and am currently taking prerequisites toward the DPT. I have another year and a half of prerequisites. I want to have two children before I am 35 (preferably sooner) and I want to stay at home with them for about four or five years (in total, not for each child). Would it be better to have them after I finish the prerequisites but before I apply for the DPT? Or should I have them after the DPT but before I start a career? If I go straight through I will be 31 when I graduate so I would have to have babies right away.

Here are some considerations:
-I have a 4.0 and am working as a PT aide now. I have a BA in Dance. My fiance is (knock on wood) doing well in his career, so money is not the main consideration, but of course it is a consideration.
- I checked with my school and the prerequisites will last for 10 years.
-I'm afraid that if I have the kids after the DPT, that I won't be able to find a job because my degree will be five years old and I'll have no experience.
-I'm concerned about being able to balance the work of graduate school with two young children.
-I'm concerned about getting hit with massive student loans while I have two babies (if you aren't in school for more than six months, you pay)

What do you think? I'm especially interested in the point of view of those who have kids.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in a similar situation with wondering about kids. However, I'm in my first year of DPT school and I am 31. I will finish at 34. I know I have to wait until I finish my DPT to start a family, the program director basically strongly recommends finishing school before we start having kids, however when I finish do I start a family first, or work for 1-2 years, then start a family. Crazy big decisions!!

I would recommend doing the DPT before having kids. We have one person in our program with a child and he is struggling with the competing priorities.

You can defer your loans if your not in school. Make sure you let the loan agencies know that you are defering so your grace period doesn't expire. Ask your loan agency about "economic hardship" deferals or forbearances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a 38 y.o. father of two who is considering going back to school. Mine are older now (7 & 9) but one of the considerations we had to factor in is me going to school/working and the daycare bill.

luckily they are both in school and the daycare bill is low, but we are still looking at me waiting another year before I can go back.

Daycare is ungodly expensive; least around here it is. and one persons paycheck a month can get eaten up just on daycare alone.

Reactions: 1 user
These all seem to be good arguments for having children after the DPT, but will I be able to get a job if I don't go into the workforce immediately after school?

I'd try to work prn, contract work, or weekends as a PT immediately after graduation while you're trying to get pregnant and durign the pregnancy. This would solve your worry of having no work experience prior to having children.

I would not have kids prior to graduating. I have two kids under the age of three right now. I work as a manager of a clinic and my wife works a job where she is required to travel a great deal - it can get pretty difficult keeping all of the balls in the air! I think it would be even more difficult while in school.

My $0.02.

Reactions: 1 users
I know of a current PT student with both a
part time job and 5 kids (ages all under 14). He is rarely home 3 days of the week, but makes the most of the rest of the week and the weekends...he has an understanding wife (w/o which I doubt it would be possible for him to pull off this stunt).

In short, I wouldn't put my life on hold because someone else said it's best. Only you know what you and your life situation can handle at any one given moment. Anything is possible.

Last edited:
Do it all.
Work in peds on a per-diem basis to bring in loan money when you can get someone to watch them. This is a flexible profession so take advantage of that.
There are some facilities that have on-site day care as well. Just a thought.

sorry but I have to say, is there ever a "good" time to have children? hahaha

I graduated 5 years ago with my DPT (at 34 yo), working right out of school and had baby 1-month ago :D. Several classmates worked for 1-2 years then started having kids. I work with several other PTs in outpatient who waited until careers were established before having a child and have happily done so. Other than owning a private practice, there are a number of ways to be a PT and have a family and/or a life outside of work. For me, I wanted to get established and accrue vacation time so I could take a long maternity leave. Whatever is right for you, the profession leaves many options.

I am 25 and am currently taking prerequisites toward the DPT. I have another year and a half of prerequisites. I want to have two children before I am 35 (preferably sooner) and I want to stay at home with them for about four or five years (in total, not for each child). Would it be better to have them after I finish the prerequisites but before I apply for the DPT? Or should I have them after the DPT but before I start a career? If I go straight through I will be 31 when I graduate so I would have to have babies right away.

Here are some considerations:
-I have a 4.0 and am working as a PT aide now. I have a BA in Dance. My fiance is (knock on wood) doing well in his career, so money is not the main consideration, but of course it is a consideration.
- I checked with my school and the prerequisites will last for 10 years.
-I'm afraid that if I have the kids after the DPT, that I won't be able to find a job because my degree will be five years old and I'll have no experience.
-I'm concerned about being able to balance the work of graduate school with two young children.
-I'm concerned about getting hit with massive student loans while I have two babies (if you aren't in school for more than six months, you pay)

What do you think? I'm especially interested in the point of view of those who have kids.

Hi. I know that this was a while ago but i was wondering if you did have children before starting your DPT program. I am 22 now and though I am young I wanted to start a family soon. I am working on completing my B.S next year and then I would have to wait a year before starting the program. During that time I was thinking about having a child but i am unsure if that is a good idea. By that time (when i have the child) I would be 24 and I already have a pretty decent job as a swimming instructor (I just need to put in some better hours). My boyfriend is waiting patiently and he also has a good and and extra money coming in from real estate ventures. He is now 25.

this is what my director told my class: pregnancy makes the student more efficient. haha. He said he had a student tell him that once, when she was pregnant she became really efficient, and she later had the child during her time in the program... not that i'm saying you should get pregnant during the program.. its just kind of funny to think about

Members don't see this ad :)
My wife will be giving birth to our first child three weeks before I leave to begin my PT program - which is located out of state. It just happened that way. Both will not be joining me during my studies out of state. Though not directly said, I get the feeling that her parents are excited about the situation due to the extra time they will have with my daughter. I have already spoken to my school about this and their response was "We prefer our students to go back home for rotations anyways". *smile. The PT that mentored me told me that in his own experience, students with children did not gain as much as they could have when compared to students without children. Although I'll be across the country, I think I would have welcomed the challenge. *speaking now of course :)

It will be tough but life goes on whether you're keeping up or not. The pros will be that I will have more opportunities to study. The cons would be the valued time bonding with my daughter. As with many flexible planning, we will be relying on our supportive families - a lot. We estimate that our savings will be depleted just as I graduate, but in our view, she's worth it.

Long story short, I will miss a lot of time with my daughter but every chance I get, I will try to make it that much more special with her.

To the OP, my eclectic ramblings probably made no sense but my advice is to go with that instinct, whatever that may be.

My wife will be giving birth to our first child three weeks before I leave to begin my PT program - which is located out of state. It just happened that way. Both will not be joining me during my studies out of state. Though not directly said, I get the feeling that her parents are excited about the situation due to the extra time they will have with my daughter. I have already spoken to my school about this and their response was "We prefer our students to go back home for rotations anyways". *smile. The PT that mentored me told me that in his own experience, students with children did not gain as much as they could have when compared to students without children. Although I'll be across the country, I think I would have welcomed the challenge. *speaking now of course :)

It will be tough but life goes on whether you're keeping up or not. The pros will be that I will have more opportunities to study. The cons would be the valued time bonding with my daughter. As with many flexible planning, we will be relying on our supportive families - a lot. We estimate that our savings will be depleted just as I graduate, but in our view, she's worth it.

Long story short, I will miss a lot of time with my daughter but every chance I get, I will try to make it that much more special with her.

To the OP, my eclectic ramblings probably made no sense but my advice is to go with that instinct, whatever that may be.

Naturally, my concern is that i may not have enough time to spend with my child, which for a female is a lot. I will also have help from family.

It is important to me to make sure that I get the education and the career that I want and having children before that is a big (not good) thing in my family. I feel as though if I want the (somewhat large: 3-4 kids) family that I want :xf:, starting soon is not such a bad idea. Once I get into the program, I am not intending on having another one until I graduate and then there is the reality that I am going to want to work for a while before I have another one.

Also I would work part time which would add to the time I spend away from home.

In my program, we have 13 students with kids. I have two myself and will graduate at the age of 36. It's busy but doable. Now, that said, all 13 are dads. We have no moms in the program. That would be tough to be pregnant in school....

In my program, we have 13 students with kids. I have two myself and will graduate at the age of 36. It's busy but doable. Now, that said, all 13 are dads. We have no moms in the program. That would be tough to be pregnant in school....

That is just something that ill have to think about but i have time. I'll just keep thinking about graduating first and getting a better job or better hours at my present one before I think about a baby. :)

Don't worry ladies, I've found this thread and I'm here now. The baby-making can commence immediately :cool:
--Old Spice guy

PS: I'm on a horse.

6a00d8341c630a53ef0120a8b176b3970b-400wi

Hi! This is a very old thread but I have the same question so I wanted to post here before creating a new thread. I am applying to PT school next year and will be 24. If I get accepted I will start when I'm 25 and graduate at 28. I want to have 2-3 kids and a little spaced out, so I was wondering about taking a year or two off after graduation before I start working. Will that look bad when I begin looking for a job?

These all seem to be good arguments for having children after the DPT, but will I be able to get a job if I don't go into the workforce immediately after school?
I had my first child while I was IN physical therapy school. I would recommend waiting until you are out of school. As to your concern about the lack of experience and securing a job afterwards; I agree with another respondent that it may be beneficial to take on some PRN work after graduating ane while you are waiting to become pregnant or pregnant. Keep connected with your clinical instructors and those facilities where you perform your clinicals; they will serve as a good reference once you are ready to work. One great thing about the field of physical therapy is the flexibility for work hours. Once you have children, you can still keep your foot in the door with PRN work on the weekends if you wish. Finally, I have four children and I took several years off in between work and re-entry. I never had a problem being hired after several years out, but I did keep close connections with other therapists that could serve as strong references.

When you’re financially stable years old.

Reactions: 1 users
I always stressed over this--when to have kids and get married while building a career in PT. Then I realized, wait... I don't even have a boyfriend looooooool

Reactions: 2 users
I started school from scratch (again), at 30 with a newborn baby. Undergrad sucked, but by the time I hit my DPT and she was 4 it was better, now about to graduate shes turning 7 and things are hunky dory.
Daycare is INSANELY expensive for the little ones - we paid 12K annually for 1 child until she started public school. She was at an exceptional program, but early childhood education is critical and we decided it was worth it. Also my wife worked full time to help offset loans (The debt to income ratio issue in DPT and all that).

That said, DPT school is TOUGH.... At least our program was. Id imagine most are. Having a new born would be not so great... But now at 37 we are debating another kid (I dont want another one, lol, I want freedom and $$$).... But in the end, its a highly personal choice. You need to weigh your study habits, finances, support network, etc... before making that choice. It would certainly be easier after DPT school, but you gotta do whats best for you.