When to proceed without co-author?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sardonic

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
When do you think about cutting out a co-author because they have been non-responsive?

My situation is particularly tricky because the co-author in question is my graduate advisor. I have now graduated and my advisor is sitting on 2 of my first-author papers (she is the second author). I really need to move these along. I have a phone interview scheduled for a tenure-track position with my dream school and I would love to be able to tell them that these papers are submitted. They are ready to submit, but my advisor just hasn't looked at them. I've been waiting on one for an entire YEAR (yes, I have sent reminders). The story is always that it is the next thing on her agenda.

I am now working on a 3rd paper for which she would ideally be a co-author. The data are from my dissertation. But I'm tempted to just write it as a single author.

Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If the data were collected in their lab, my impression is that they have to sign off on any papers attached to it. You could ask about publishing the last paper as a single author, perhaps present it as knowing that they are busy and you wanting to get this paper out by a certain date.

Thank you for your response. Think it changes things at all that the research was funded by my own grant?

I'm going to DEAR MAN her (again) and see if I can get movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
I assume it was still collected under her lab and such. It's a dicey situation. I think if at all possible, you need her permission. You don't want to get caught up in any academic ethics complaints early on. You're in a tough spot, but you still need that blessing.

Makes sense. I also want a relationship with her. She's been really great otherwise.

If she contributed and meets criteria for authorship, she should be listed. Being unresponsive doesn't negate intellectual contribution. If it were me, I would send an email informing your advisor of your intent to submit. Attach a copy, and request feedback with a deadline. Be sure to include a log of all attempts to get her attention on this matter. If nothing else, at least you have provided her with a courtesy copy for her review.

The strategy I like is: (1) create a flawless, ready-to-go final draft; (2) send an email along the lines of "here is what I plan to submit to the Journal of XYZ; would you please let me know if you have any comments by [x weeks from today]? If not, I'll assume no other changes are necessary and I will submit. Oh, and here are the author forms the Journal of XYZ requires. I've taken the liberty of filling them out for you; all that's needed is your signature."

Reactions: 4 users