Jun 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
I got a 300 TS and AA and my gpa is 3.1 and I want to apply to get into the Fall 2010 so I am definitely going to take the OAT again and I heard its best to just get the application out early regardless if you do not have everything so I am going to be sending it out sometime next week.
My question is when is the latest that I would be able to take the exam if I send my application out next week.
I was thinking about taking it in October or since I graduate this Fall I was thinking about maybe if I could take it in February or would that be way to late
I also don't have a recommendation letter from an eye doctor yet so I was wondering when is the latest for that as well
Any help would be appreciated

OpticalBlackOut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
Status
Optometrist
I got a 300 TS and AA and my gpa is 3.1 and I want to apply to get into the Fall 2010 so I am definitely going to take the OAT again and I heard its best to just get the application out early regardless if you do not have everything so I am going to be sending it out sometime next week.
My question is when is the latest that I would be able to take the exam if I send my application out next week.
I was thinking about taking it in October or since I graduate this Fall I was thinking about maybe if I could take it in February or would that be way to late
I also don't have a recommendation letter from an eye doctor yet so I was wondering when is the latest for that as well
Any help would be appreciated
Well, I know that for ICO, your application is not considered complete until everything is in. Therefore, they wouldn't review your file until those scores were in. The deadline (for last year) was March 15th, and I'm sure you've heard this already, but that should be the last resort for everybody because applying early is really advantageous.

OP
P
Jun 8, 2009
Status
Pre-Optometry
so theyll have your application but won't look at it until it is completed? But its still better to send it in early that way they know you are definitely interested right?

OpticalBlackOut

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Sep 16, 2008
Status
Optometrist
so theyll have your application but won't look at it until it is completed? But its still better to send it in early that way they know you are definitely interested right?
Due to the fact that schools will have a high number of applicants, they receive so many mailings that things get backed up. (Although this might be improved due to OptomCAS this year)

You want to send things in early in case they lose something/or want a certain transcript (high school, for example) sent again.
By making sure that everything except the OAT is sent, you prevent any additional delays that might be a surprise.

Real example: I forgot to sign a check that I sent to a school...took another 2 months to process my application!

jymezg

SCO c/o 2013
10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2008
Memphus, TN
Status
Optometry Student
Real example: I forgot to sign a check that I sent to a school...took another 2 months to process my application!
Real example: I had to send in a CC transcript THREE different times to one school. They didn't look at it until they had that final transcript with ONE class on it! (wasn't even a prereq :smuggrin:)

jc812

10+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2006
Status
Optometry Student
Real example: I had to send in a CC transcript THREE different times to one school. They didn't look at it until they had that final transcript with ONE class on it! (wasn't even a prereq :smuggrin:)
that sucks