When to Schedule Step 2 CK for Maximum PM&R Interview Offers?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medgirl89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! I'm a 3rd year med student interested in applying for PM&R, but I don't currently have a PM&R mentor to help guide my 4th year scheduling. Our school allows us time off for studying for Step 2 and interviews, and I just scheduled my Step 2 CK for October 30, 2015. However, when searching through FRIEDA for residency programs, I noticed a lot of them state that Step 2 is required for "consideration for interviews" and I'm suddenly freaking out that I scheduled mine way too late. It looks like having my official score returning in November will lower my chances at getting early interviews at a lot of programs.

My fourth year starts July 2015, and I'll be doing my first PM&R elective then. I planned on doing a second PM&R elective in August, but it looks like I might have to move my Step 2 CK to the end of August in order to be eligible for certain interviews. My eligibility period for Step 2 CK starts September 1 so that's the earliest I can reschedule for free; is that early enough?

Any advice would be so appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth I took Step 2 CK in the middle of November. I had more interview invitations than I could handle thanks to a strong Step 1 score. If you are in the same type of boat and otherwise have strong grades, LORs, and extracurriculars, I don't see a reason why you wouldn't get offers. All they ever did was ask me if I had Step 2 CK scheduled, and I would tell them the date (or the score if I received it by the time of that particular interview).

I had a mediocre Step 1 score so I focused on getting 2CK in early and doing well on it to maximize my interview chances. I did a PM&R rotation as soon as MS3 was over and then took a month and studied and did really well on 2CK. I feel like it really helped me get some interviews at more competitive places (most places commented on it during my interview).

Soooo, my opinion is that if you did well on Step 1 then when you take 2CK isn't as big of a deal. If you aren't as happy with your Step 1 score then try to take 2CK earlier to get a higher score for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you move up Step 2 CK to a time that's less ideal for studying, a low Step 2 CK score is going to be worse for your chances of matching at your top choice than of not having a Step 2 CK score prior to interview invitations season (Sept - Nov). So, as other's have said, if Step 1 is solid then keep your current Step 2 CK test date.

Thanks everyone. I actually reached out to a program director at a PM&R residency that said they would like to see scores before offering interviews. She was extremely friendly and said that September 1st sounded just fine, so I changed my Step 2 CK to Sep 1st for free. I'll be moving my away elective to October most likely, since she said that it would still make an impact to do an away PM&R elective before everyone makes their rank lists. :)

Thanks everyone. I actually reached out to a program director at a PM&R residency that said they would like to see scores before offering interviews. She was extremely friendly and said that September 1st sounded just fine, so I changed my Step 2 CK to Sep 1st for free. I'll be moving my away elective to October most likely, since she said that it would still make an impact to do an away PM&R elective before everyone makes their rank lists. :)

Kudos for having the bravery to ask