When to send Letter of Intents?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

obelisk99

Reaction score
I just interviewed at 3 schools and was WL'ed at all 3 in December. Two of the schools do not accept update letters so I was wondering if that meant a LOI was out of question? Also for the other school, is right after their decision a good time to send an LOI or should I wait a month?

Members don't see this ad.

I just interviewed at 3 schools and was WL'ed at all 3 in December. Two of the schools do not accept update letters so I was wondering if that meant a LOI was out of question? Also for the other school, is right after their decision a good time to send an LOI or should I wait a month?
Spring time

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I always thought that letter of intent is a subcategory of update letter so you may want to be careful and make sure they will accept it before hand (don’t want to make admissions irritated)

Reactions: 1 user
Which of the three schools do you actually most want to attend? Do you have any acceptances?

Reactions: 1 users
no acceptances and I really want to attend the school that WLed but doesn't take update letters.
Which of the three schools do you actually most want to attend? Do you have any acceptances?

The value of a LOI is to make you as the applicant feel like you’re doing something. There are always anecdotes about success, but they are the exception. AdComs have little faith that you will attend because a history of applicants have made them cynical.

If you do it, only send to one.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
no acceptances and I really want to attend the school that WLed but doesn't take update letters.
Send a brief email to admissions about a week before waitlist movement really begins in the spring. You can look at last year's school-specific thread to see when this occurred. The only real value is that the school will know you are still on the market and interested. If you're toward the bottom of the WL this tactic will not levitate you to the top.

Reactions: 2 users