When to set aside for interviews?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Trpgnd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm currently a MS3 trying to set up my schedule for next year and was just wondering what everyone's input is on when would be the best month(s) to have easy rotations/flex time for interviews.

Much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

It depends a lot on how your school does vacation/electives/time off. I took December and January completely off for interviews (though I was also couples matching which required more interviews than most singles, probably). I also had 5 interviews in November, but had a rotation that was easily switched around as needed (ED shifts). :luck:

I concur w/ Punkn. Nov, Dec, Jan. Emphasis on Dec-Jan. I did most of my prelim interviews in Nov and most of my PM&R interviews in Dec-Jan. If you're limiting yourself to a local geographic area you could get away with less. In summary, take either Dec or Jan off, and schedule flex rotations for the other months.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ditto.........December and January (at least the first half) will be your most heavily scheduled in terms of interviews. I made the huge mistake of doing audition rotations during those months, and as a results ended up canceling all but 4 interviews that I had to travel for.

Also, make sure you know the policy for number of days off per rotation, if you decide to rotate during those months. For most schools, I think it is three days.

Agree with above. My heaviest interview months were December and January and I made sure to schedule a very flexible rotation during November, as I still had to travel multiple times for a few interviews. Also, Dec and January are when some places at which you may be waitlisted will call and ask if you can make an interview on short notice, so be prepared to do so!

It's an exhausting but exciting time, so enjoy!

Ditto.........December and January (at least the first half) will be your most heavily scheduled in terms of interviews. I made the huge mistake of doing audition rotations during those months, and as a results ended up canceling all but 4 interviews that I had to travel for.

Also, make sure you know the policy for number of days off per rotation, if you decide to rotate during those months. For most schools, I think it is three days.

wow, you had to actually cancel some interviews? I would think that the PDs or attendings in charge would understand about interviews and thus would be cool with you taking days off.... how could they not !?!? What happens if I only have december off?

wow, you had to actually cancel some interviews? I would think that the PDs or attendings in charge would understand about interviews and thus would be cool with you taking days off.... how could they not !?!? What happens if I only have december off?

Let’s consider some of the purposes of an audition rotation: to impress. To show off your knowledge, skills, work ethic. To demonstrate that you want to do your residency there, and that you would do well there. What does it tell a program – where you requested to be for that month – if you ask for time off to interview at a different program?

You have now learned that prime interview time is Dec-Jan. Plan accordingly.

Let’s consider some of the purposes of an audition rotation: to impress. To show off your knowledge, skills, work ethic. To demonstrate that you want to do your residency there, and that you would do well there. What does it tell a program – where you requested to be for that month – if you ask for time off to interview at a different program?

You have now learned that prime interview time is Dec-Jan. Plan accordingly.

Yup. Ludicolo is right on the money. My audition rotations were actually mid October to mid December (I did two). It was far more important for me to NOT leave a bad impression at the places that I was doing my auditions. I think I took time for one away interview per audition rotation (about two days per rotation). GOOD LUCK!

I agree with what's been said.

I had December off and was able to schedule almost all of my PM&R and internship interviews during that 1 month. I think I had 1 or 2 in both Nov and Jan.

Make sure you reply to interview invite emails ASAP in order to the get the dates you want, as they can fill up fast.