When to start looking for jobs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

darkmansaad

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Acute Pain/Regional fellow here in major academic program
When should I start looking for gigs? Some have told me a year, some have said start in 6 months, some have said try to network at major meetings.

Also what's the job situation out there for acute pain/regional fellowship trained consultants? I only know what I've seen on gaswork so advice appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

Start now. You really can't start looking too early. This is even more important if you are going to limit yourself geographically. I started looking in Sept/Oct of my CA-3 year (no fellowship). Even then, there were 2 practices I talked to that were hiring, but had already filled all their interview slots for new applicants.

I can't really speak to the specific job market for acute pain/regional fellows. I don't think it can hurt you, but I'm not sure it's going to be a big selling point either. You may get lucky and find a practice that is looking to establish a new pain service, but at least here locally the trend has been to do less and less regional. If you're adamant about having acute pain be a large part of your career, I think academics is the answer.

My program would probably hire you if you want to do academics in fly over country. Message me if interested. Salary is fair and they get about 7 weeks off annually I believe.

Members don't see this ad :)
Start NOW. The job market is abysmal.

I signed before finishing my CA2 year and got a sign on bonus plus a stipend while in residency. The earlier you sign with these deals the longer period you are getting paid. The other benefit of signing early is you can tailor your training to learn skill that will be useful to you in your actual job. If you are willing to locate to flyover country the job market is actually pretty good. If you want to work in a big city enjoy your low salary and high cost of living.

I started sending out applications for a general job in September of my CA-3 year. I sent out applications to groups near my residency program as well as groups near my hometown. Many of the places didn't know their hiring needs that far in advance, especially the ones near my home town. I started interviewing at a few places in November and got a job offer around January 2. I still had another interview lined up, but a guaranteed job was something tough to pass up, so I took it.

A couple of months later a desirable group from my hometown called and asked if I was interested in a job. Apparently they now knew their hiring needs. Sadly, too late.

There is no right answer. Apply early to try and guarantee a job, but you may pass up your soul mate job. Despite that a job is a great thing to have.

You can always quit and move to the soul mate job. Some huge percentage (I think over 50%) of anesthesiologists leave their first job in two years.

I signed before finishing my CA2 year and got a sign on bonus plus a stipend while in residency. The earlier you sign with these deals the longer period you are getting paid. The other benefit of signing early is you can tailor your training to learn skill that will be useful to you in your actual job. If you are willing to locate to flyover country the job market is actually pretty good. If you want to work in a big city enjoy your low salary and high cost of living.

Are stipends and bonuses like this common when accepting jobs in flyover country? I've got a long way to go before I go applying for attending jobs, but I already know I won't be limited geographically.

Are stipends and bonuses like this common when accepting jobs in flyover country? I've got a long way to go before I go applying for attending jobs, but I already know I won't be limited geographically.

I used to think the same way but then I got married haha. My wife shot down the whole flyover country idea pretty early.

Reactions: 2 users
I don't know how common they are but this wasn't too long ago. They year i finished everyone in my program that wanted a job or fellowship got one. Those that went to flyover country got a "lot" of money or a lot of vacation. Those that went to large metro areas or stayed in academic got significantly less.

I think the people that really struggle getting jobs are those that burn bridges, are hard to deal with or have marginal anesthesia skills.

It amazes me how some anesthesiologists don't get the fact that we are basically expendable commodities. If you treat your colleagues like crap or are lazy you will eventually be replaced. And if your resume starts to show a long list of former employers you will struggle to find jobs.

Reactions: 1 users

I would love to find a gig like this. Did you look near your hometown? Did you just start picking random spots on the map and cold calling?

Midway through my CA 2 year i put my name out with some physician recruiters and they ended up contacting me later as job opportunities came up. You can also send a resume and cover letter to HR of specific hospitals or groups you are interested in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Wow. Everyone here is in unison. Awesome. I actually need a refresher course on what defines "flyover country" but open to most opportunities. Best way to go about looking is what, emailing chairmen, etc?

i think beginning of CA3 year is best. That way u have th experience of those above you who just graduated to guide u. Definately do NOT sign anything while a CA2. No such thing as a free lunch - if a grp is so desperate as to offer u a job as a CA2 even though they dont even know if u will finish ur residency, something is up. Also, going to interviews at a CA2 isnt a good idea bec u still lack some fundamental knowledge and experience which may make u look like a weak candidate. That being said, keep "your ear to the ground" and see what is going on as soon as u start residency.

Reactions: 1 user
i think beginning of CA3 year is best. That way u have th experience of those above you who just graduated to guide u. Definately do NOT sign anything while a CA2. No such thing as a free lunch - if a grp is so desperate as to offer u a job as a CA2 even though they dont even know if u will finish ur residency, something is up. Also, going to interviews at a CA2 isnt a good idea bec u still lack some fundamental knowledge and experience which may make u look like a weak candidate. That being said, keep "your ear to the ground" and see what is going on as soon as u start residency.

I disagree 100%. My group almost always signs people in their late CA-2 years. The best candidates sign jobs early or decide to do fellowships (the process of which starts to happen CA-2 year). We frequently recruit people who are considering fellowships and would go down that path without a firm job offer. In my experience, most people who are still available in their CA-3 year are not people we want to hire. That has been demonstrated repeatedly when we interview CA-3s. We end up staying short-staffed rather than hiring chumps.

If you treat your colleagues like crap or are lazy you will eventually be replaced. And if your resume starts to show a long list of former employers you will struggle to find jobs.

Truer words never spoken.

What do you mean by your post? I don't understand. Are these cities not saturated?

This is just my definition, but I'd characterize flyover cities as the ones ranked between 30 and 125 on this list that are also (1) not in California or Florida and (2) not on a coast:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Metropolitan_Statistical_Areas

If you choose 126-225 those areas can still provide you with a lot of what you want but might suck if you're single.

"One horse towns" are, for me, everything below 226 with limited resources around and places where you can experience everything the town has to offer with the first three months of living there. They have rapidly high boredom factor. And it's hard to get to places that don't for short weekend getaways.

(And for those interested or curious I live in a flyover city.)

Last edited:
How would you go about finding good jobs in flyover country, for 1-2 years from now, when you live on the coast? Where would you look?

Was recently told by a senior attending at my current instituiton to wait until at least JANUARY of fellowship year to start the job hunt.... Seriously? I'm no genius but good lord, how many people are getting screwed by such ridiculous advice? Guess that's what happens to your brain when you haven't looked for a real job in 15+ years.

I'm a new hire out of residency. 2 year partnership job, and signed the contract back in October.

I tell anyone willing to listen that the job market is GOOD, but not GREAT. You may not have a great opportunity in your back yard, or most desired location. Perhaps, as others have said, it's either location, money, or lifestyle... Having geographic flexibility is excellent.

I think people need to also consider that anesthesia delivery is highly variable. Practice settings are highly diverse. Again, even here, some level of compromise is often warranted. There are no perfect jobs out there.

If you are good, personable, reliable, hard working, and competent, there WILL be a job for you both now and in the future. I firmly believe this.

My group hired me just under two years in advance. Two years to partner. All MD group. When I was looking I found that it is never too early to start. Many of the groups I called had already filled their spots or at least filled who they were planning to interview. I say start early and plant the seed with groups to let them know your interest level. I think several groups understand the value of hiring early so they can really select a qualified/good fit candidate rather than being forced to take someone. The same should go for you. The sooner you start the more opportunity you have to perhaps be a little more selective and see whats available.

How would you go about finding good jobs in flyover country, for 1-2 years from now, when you live on the coast? Where would you look?

Recruiter. Start now. Put your name out there.

Do you guys know a good, reputable one? Because I am fed up with the kind that it's basically an employer's agent, and all s/he cares about is the "finder's fee". I even had *****s send me jobs that were from gaswork, directly posted by the anesthesia group.

A recruiter should be like a good insurance broker: they should help you find the best job that fits you, even if it takes longer. Instead, what I see are just useless middlemen, and I am not really anxious to share my personal information with them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't bother with recruiters. Quality groups don't need them to find people and aren't about to pay for one. Networking is everything. Ask your staff where former graduates of the program are working and get their contact info. Usually groups like to hire from programs where current partners trained since they are familiar with the training and product that that program puts out.