When to start Med School in the Carib?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

premedemma

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey everyone,

I got accepted to Saba for January 2012 class. I have a question about the calendar of events that follow. I read somewhere on SDN (I can't find where) that when you start a certain semester (either fall or spring, I can't remember), you are at a disadvatange when you apply to residency programs since they open for EVERYONE at one time period. Something like that. I don't remember - and I'm really hoping someone can answer this question for me.

Thanks,
Emma
 
If you start Jan '12, you will graduate in Dec '16. If this is the case, you would be doing the matching in July '17, so you would have a little break in between for about 7 months. The counselor suggested to me that this may be a good idea because it gives the student a little break before getting into residency, and also to study for Step 2. If you start in August '11 (or '12), you would graduate in June '16 ('17), giving you no break at all in preparation for residency matching in July '16 ('17). However, you would not lose much time this way.

The decision depends on you, and what you value more. Time or comfort (I guess)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you start Jan '12, you will graduate in Dec '16. If this is the case, you would be doing the matching in July '17, so you would have a little break in between for about 7 months. The counselor suggested to me that this may be a good idea because it gives the student a little break before getting into residency, and also to study for Step 2. If you start in August '11 (or '12), you would graduate in June '16 ('17), giving you no break at all in preparation for residency matching in July '16 ('17). However, you would not lose much time this way.

The decision depends on you, and what you value more. Time or comfort (I guess)

maybe im mistaken, but if you start in jan 12, wont u finish dec. 2015? not 2016? finish 20 months of basic science in august 2013, then a cpl months for the step...so say u start clinicals in december 2013..+ 2 years = apprx. dec 2015...? and then match to residency for july 2016?