1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Visit this thread to beta-test StudySchedule.org. StudySchedule is a free nonprofit site that builds dynamic MCAT study schedules unique for your needs and timeline.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Check out the new Application Assistant, where you can calculate your LizzyM score, see how you rank compared to other applicants, and see a list of schools where similar students were accepted.

When to start studying for MCAT?

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Othala, 09.29.14.

1. SDN is made possible through member donations, sponsorships, and our volunteers. Learn about SDN's nonprofit mission.
  1. Othala

Othala

Pre-Medical
    One of the doctors I work with said I should start studying now, but I'm still almost a year and a half away from taking it.

When did you start prepping?

2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. itsthat1guy

itsthat1guy Not that other guy 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Start studying 3-4 months out, 18 months is an absurdly long time and totally unecessary

4. Othala

Othala

Pre-Medical
    Thank you. I'm all for early prep, but like you said, that's an absurdly long time. 4 months sounds like ample time to prepare.

I figured I'd ask though, since he took the MCAT already and I haven't. Maybe he was just trying to scare me. :p

5. NextStepTutor_1

NextStepTutor_1 Next Step MCAT Tutor Exhibitor 2+ Year Member

SDN
    Exhibitor
    18 months is insane. MCAT studying is suppose to be a mini-marathon, not a lifetime. As @itsthat1guy said, 4 months will be adequate. 2.5-3 if you have nothing else on your plate, and maybe 5 if you'll be busy.

Good luck!

6. valkener

valkener 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Most students study 3-4 months but some study much longer or much less, all depending on their knowledge and readiness. If you are taking classes then that is what you should focus on now.

7. brood910

brood910 2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Depends on you.
    My friend needed only 2 weeks to get 40 while I needed 4 months to just get above 30.

About the ads