When to start thinking about externships...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tigerstang

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
And how to apply?

I'm an MS3 interested in radiation oncology and would greatly appreciate any advice on how to find more information about externships. I'm pretty sure I'd like to do one (actually two if at all possible) but was wondering how I should go about applying for them. It doesn't look like many programs have info about their externship programs online. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Hope everyone is having a happy holiday season!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
That's a great link, wish I had it when I was going through the process last year. The application timelines are different for every school and some of them have a lot of hoops to jump through. The earlier you get started on this the better, though you may find out that you can't apply until April or May... even for a July rotation. It's just the first hurdle in the long year of ERAS, interviews, and the waiting game. Good luck to all the 3rd years going for it.

This doesn't quite seem like a complete list. Some of the programs which I know do have externships don't come up.