When to start thinking about reapplying?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lemonade123

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I applied very early in June, was complete at most schools by September, and I've only had one interview so far (state school in CA). My MCAT isn't that great, and I don't know if I'll be getting anymore interviews this cycle since it's basically mid-January already.

I thought my one interview went well, and they had told us interview day that we would be notified of acceptances from mid-December until May. Well, having that long of a period to just wait is a little stressful because I'm not sure if I should start thinking about studying for the MCAT again. Assuming I do decide to retake, I'd have to take the test by May to get scores by June for reapplication. That would mean that I would need to start studying soon!

Between the ambiguity of acceptance to my state school and the possible need to retake the MCAT, I'm kind of in a rut as to what to do now. Do I wait a little longer? What if I end up getting in this cycle and the stress of an MCAT retake isn't even necessary?

Members don't see this ad.

Firstly, what's your MCAT breakdown? Secondly, if you're stressing, SDN is probably going to make it worse. Try not to lurk around here too much. But I guess just to be safe, you should brainstorm a few things you could do to improve your application for next cycle. Just write it down in a notepad document or on a piece of paper and store it away someplace where you won't be looking at it until you need to. Some things that could be good to do (aside from potentially retaking the MCAT) would be to get more clinical experience and hit your nose to the grind so you can improve your GPA if you're still in undergrad.

Firstly, what's your MCAT breakdown? Secondly, if you're stressing, SDN is probably going to make it worse. Try not to lurk around here too much. But I guess just to be safe, you should brainstorm a few things you could do to improve your application for next cycle. Just write it down in a notepad document or on a piece of paper and store it away someplace where you won't be looking at it until you need to. Some things that could be good to do (aside from potentially retaking the MCAT) would be to get more clinical experience and hit your nose to the grind so you can improve your GPA if you're still in undergrad.

MCAT breakdown = (9PS, 9V, 10BS). I'm not in undergrad anymore, and I have pretty good clinical experience, so I've just been working during my gap year to make some money to pay off loans. You're probably right about staying off SDN! But when do you think is the time to really consider retaking the MCAT if I haven't heard from my state school yet? I know some people say January is still early, but time is going by fast.

Members don't see this ad :)
<30 MCAT is pretty much always worth retaking for MD schools. You're in a bit of a tricky situation since the 2015 MCAT is gonna be around in a little over a year from now; I'd start studying as soon as possible and take some practice exams in February or March and see where you stand. If you ask me, it'd be ideal to take it in the Spring of this year, but you absolutely do not want your retake score to be lower; make sure you're confident and are scoring well on practice exams before you take the real deal. That all being said, taking the 2015 MCAT wouldn't be the end of the world, there's just more material, and you'd need to study a bit differently than you did for the current MCAT. Basically, start studying now, see where you stand in early Spring, and act accordingly.

I was going to also recommend a post-bac program, but it probably isn't the easiest move financially if you're still paying off loans. I dunno where your GPA is, but pretty much everyone I've spoken to has managed to improve their GPA with those kinds of programs.

If you reapply, schools will need to see that you have made substantial efforts to improve your application. Consider how much time you will really need to significantly improve your MCAT score. Are there other aspects of your application that could improve, as well? Grades? Research experience? Volunteer work? Think about how long it will take to do that. Waiting a cycle, if necessary, never killed anyone - at least not that I've ever seen in our ER.

Just to clarify on the timing, you can submit your AMCAS for processing immediately in June before retaking your MCAT. You can submit to one school, take the MCAT in June, and submit to other schools in July once you get your MCAT score. This method does presume that you will score high enough to make reapplying worthwhile though. But if you really need another month, it's a viable option.

But NRC offers really good advise. Despite how unpalatable it may feel, taking a cycle off to improve your application might be the best course of action.

1) Listen to all the responses above.

2) List your application and we'll all be able to give you a better idea of the most valuable way to improve your chances. With your MCAT being a 28, I think it would help substantially to get over the 30 mark, but that is assuming the rest of your application is in order.

3) Try to not sweat having to reapply. When all is said and done, you'll most likely look back and realize that 1 year didn't make much difference in the scheme of life. :)

Thanks for all the responses!

Here's the breakdown of my app:

28 MCAT (9PS, 9V, 10BS)
3.74 GPA
Attended a well-known UC
Cali resident
7 years of hands-on clinical experience
1-2 years of research in 2 labs
1 research presentation in conference
3+ years of non-medical community service
Working as a tutor during gap year

I'm hoping that I'll at least hear from other schools by the end of this month or even get an acceptance from the school I interviewed at, but if I don't hear anything by early Feb I'll start studying for the MCAT again. I feel like my app is decently solid except for the MCAT score, so should that be my main priority if I don't get in this cycle?

28 MCAT (9PS, 9V, 10BS)
3.74 GPA
Attended a well-known UC
Cali resident

I'm hoping that I'll at least hear from other schools by the end of this month or even get an acceptance from the school I interviewed at, but if I don't hear anything by early Feb I'll start studying for the MCAT again. I feel like my app is decently solid except for the MCAT score, so should that be my main priority if I don't get in this cycle?

Based on that information, I'd dedicate your time to improving your MCAT score. I think scoring a 31 is a very attainable goal if you put in the effort. Just make sure you're consistently scoring well on practice tests before taking it again! Throw in some time shadowing a few physicians while you study for the MCAT, and you've got a solid application in my opinion. :)

I'm in a pretty similar situation - have attended one interview at my state school and am currently debating whether or not to study for and retake the MCAT in preparation for next cycle. I just recently got two II's though so I'd say hang in there - there's still hope for more to come!

I'm in a pretty similar situation - have attended one interview at my state school and am currently debating whether or not to study for and retake the MCAT in preparation for next cycle. I just recently got two II's though so I'd say hang in there - there's still hope for more to come!

Nice! Good luck to you! Hopefully we both get in this cycle :) Hopefully soon enough so we don't have to go through MCAT prep again!

Based on that information, I'd dedicate your time to improving your MCAT score. I think scoring a 31 is a very attainable goal if you put in the effort. Just make sure you're consistently scoring well on practice tests before taking it again! Throw in some time shadowing a few physicians while you study for the MCAT, and you've got a solid application in my opinion. :)

Thank you!

28 MCAT (9PS, 9V, 10BS)
3.74 GPA
Attended a well-known UC
Cali resident

Can you break down these 7 years and what you are calling "hands-on clinical experience"?
Also, you say 1-2 years of research in 2 labs....are you not sure how many years it has been?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can you break down these 7 years and what you are calling "hands-on clinical experience"?
Also, you say 1-2 years of research in 2 labs....are you not sure how many years it has been?

Um I volunteered for 7 years at a hospital working with patients since high school and I worked in 2 labs for about 1.5 years...

Okay, so this was 7 years at the same hospital?
Also, why did you work in two different labs? Did you switch from one lab to the other? Change in personal research interests? Personal conflicts? Was one volunteer and the other was a paid opportunity? 2 labs in less than 2 years may raise a flag - it may not, but I was told to be wise about this when reporting my lab research....just giving you the same heads up I was given.

Okay, so this was 7 years at the same hospital?
Also, why did you work in two different labs? Did you switch from one lab to the other? Change in personal research interests? Personal conflicts? Was one volunteer and the other was a paid opportunity? 2 labs in less than 2 years may raise a flag - it may not, but I was told to be wise about this when reporting my lab research....just giving you the same heads up I was given.

Yes, the 7 years were at the same hospital. And I worked in 2 different labs because first time around, I wanted to try bench research to see if it was for me, but then I ended up not really liking/learning anything. Another opportunity came up to work in a different lab where I would be able to work more independently, so I took that position. However, I also had to leave that due to personal reasons and other opportunities concerning things I was more passionate about and enjoyed more. I hope that hasn't been looked down upon.

Yes, the 7 years were at the same hospital. And I worked in 2 different labs because first time around, I wanted to try bench research to see if it was for me, but then I ended up not really liking/learning anything. Another opportunity came up to work in a different lab where I would be able to work more independently, so I took that position. However, I also had to leave that due to personal reasons and other opportunities concerning things I was more passionate about and enjoyed more. I hope that hasn't been looked down upon.

Okay, so I worked in a lab that about 6 months in I absolutely DESPISED. However, with concerns of medical schools potentially viewing a decision to leave as "hasty" or "showing a lack of commitment" and begging the question "How do we know they won't get bored/dis-interested in medical school after 1st year" I ended up staying for 1 year, which became 18 months, which became 2 years. I would treat the application like a resume - line items (with some exceptions, obviously) that do not last longer than a year, or multiple line items within a certain period of time "7 jobs in 4 years" "2 labs in 1 year" etc, it raises a flag. You might be better off just putting one, whichever one you could get a letter from?

Okay, so I worked in a lab that about 6 months in I absolutely DESPISED. However, with concerns of medical schools potentially viewing a decision to leave as "hasty" or "showing a lack of commitment" and begging the question "How do we know they won't get bored/dis-interested in medical school after 1st year" I ended up staying for 1 year, which became 18 months, which became 2 years. I would treat the application like a resume - line items (with some exceptions, obviously) that do not last longer than a year, or multiple line items within a certain period of time "7 jobs in 4 years" "2 labs in 1 year" etc, it raises a flag. You might be better off just putting one, whichever one you could get a letter from?

That makes sense. I'll definitely consider that if I end up reapplying. Thanks!

In response to: "What if I end up getting in this cycle and the stress of an MCAT retake isn't even necessary?"

What's worse: the pain of hard work or the pain of regret?

Reactions: 1 users
You are not alone...
I'm kind of in the same boat.IS/ 27(9/9/9)/3.73 except I applied very late( was verified on 9/27/13)
2 years of research+ LOR from the lab+ publication on its way. While undergrad had a poster, conference presentations, etc.
18 months of hospital volunteering
6 months shadowing
2 years of community work

At this point have had already two interviews( Cali school) and another interview( Cali school) at the end of this month, no acceptances and one rejection pre-interview, the rest is silence:-(

This Sunday I start studying for the MCAT because this time around I want to apply earlier.

It's tough, but because we have a dream we are doing it!

Man, Cali residents have it rough.

Only thing I can think of is your MCAT, but even then, it isn't exactly really low. I'm sure you're well aware of SN2's MCAT schedule so I'd go ahead and start following that. Now that it's January, its not exactly early in the cycle anymore and you should be prepared for the worst. Sad part is I feel that if you were a resident of any other state, you would have had more luck :(

Good luck!

You are not alone...
I'm kind of in the same boat.IS/ 27(9/9/9)/3.73 except I applied very late( was verified on 9/27/13)
2 years of research+ LOR from the lab+ publication on its way. While undergrad had a poster, conference presentations, etc.
18 months of hospital volunteering
6 months shadowing
2 years of community work

At this point have had already two interviews( Cali school) and another interview( Cali school) at the end of this month, no acceptances and one rejection pre-interview, the rest is silence:-(

This Sunday I start studying for the MCAT because this time around I want to apply earlier.

It's tough, but because we have a dream we are doing it!

Good luck! Hoping the best for both of us!

Reactions: 1 user
What? They got interviews at California schools with a 27 MCAT. My question is: are Cali schools are really as tough as vaunted on here?

I think that some Cali schools look at the applicant in a more complete pic than just numbers...I've got interviews at UCLA and UCSD but not UCI or UCD. However, I'm in a big disadvantage because I'm competing against outstanding applicants at UCLA and UCSD which greatly reduces my acceptance chances...

I think that some Cali schools look at the applicant in a more complete pic than just numbers...I've got interviews at UCLA and UCSD but not UCI or UCD. However, I'm in a big disadvantage because I'm competing against outstanding applicants at UCLA and UCSD which greatly reduces my acceptance chances...

Congratulations, and that's good to hear. But based on all the SDN info (or mis-info), I was under the (mis) impression that UCs do active screening of primaries and that people applying with a sub-30 did not get interviews.

Congratulations, and that's good to hear. But based on all the SDN info (or mis-info), I was under the (mis) impression that UCs do active screening of primaries and that people applying with a sub-30 did not get interviews.

From my experience this year it seems like UCSF, UCIrvine, and UCDavis have some sort of computerized screening for a specific cutoff. I received my secondaries almost instantly after I was complete at those schools. At UCSD it took a few weeks before I received a secondary and I haven't gotten one from UCLA, even though I ended up interviewing at UCSD.

I would assume that even those schools that have an automatic screening process go back and look over apps to fill out certain demographics they are looking for in their class though.

From my experience this year it seems like UCSF, UCIrvine, and UCDavis have some sort of computerized screening for a specific cutoff. I received my secondaries almost instantly after I was complete at those schools. At UCSD it took a few weeks before I received a secondary and I haven't gotten one from UCLA, even though I ended up interviewing at UCSD.

I would assume that even those schools that have an automatic screening process go back and look over apps to fill out certain demographics they are looking for in their class though.

I received secondaries from all Cali schools, from some immediately and from others( UCSD, UCLA, LLU) within a week.
For not getting an II from UCD I partially blame my not-well written secondaries, I know that I did way better job for the schools I got interviews from.

You may want to take a look at the schools you're applying to as well. You may not be a really competitive applicant at the Cali schools, and the other schools out west don't look too fondly on OOS applicants. Did you apply to NY schools, other east coast/midwest schools that are OOS friendly? Don't underestimate the importance in choosing appropriate schools to apply to.