When to stop taking classes in a DIY postbacc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted555445

I have currently completed 35 credits of a DIY postbacc at a UC extension at a 4.0. I am not applying this cycle because it took me a while to find a clinical volunteering opportunity that fit my work-work-school schedule, so my clinical volunteering since college is low, especially since covid has again put it on hold.

My combined sGPA from undergrad and postbacc is now 3.21 (up from 2.94). Since I am waiting another year, I am planning on taking an additional ~18 or so credits to get my overall sGPA above 3.3. At this point though, I am running out of upper div bio/science classes to take without retaking ones from undergrad (already retook my two C-'s), and I'm starting to wonder if its a bad use of time/energy/$$.

One school I talked to recommended 25-30 credits of postbacc, and I see other people saying 30 or 32 is a good rule of thumb, so am I achieving diminishing returns by continuing to take classes? Would this time be better spent volunteering or just enjoying my life lol? I do like the content of these classes, so I'm enjoying what I'm learning, but at $1000 a pop I would like to avoid wasting money, especially given the cost of the application cycle.

Thanks!

Side note: I'm already planning on not taking any classes while I study for the MCAT (scheduled in September), so additional MCAT studying wouldn't be another possible use of my time.

Members don't see this ad.

Once your sGPA is 3.3 you could receive interviews at many DO schools assuming your MCAT is at least 500. What will your cGPA be after you are finished with the 18 additional science credits ?

In how much time or semesters did you complete 35 credit hours?

Members don't see this ad :)
Once your sGPA is 3.3 you could receive interviews at many DO schools assuming your MCAT is at least 500. What will your cGPA be after you are finished with the 18 additional science credits ?
my cGPA is almost identical to my sGPA, it will be ~3.3 as well.

I have currently completed 35 credits of a DIY postbacc at a UC extension at a 4.0. I am not applying this cycle because it took me a while to find a clinical volunteering opportunity that fit my work-work-school schedule, so my clinical volunteering since college is low, especially since covid has again put it on hold.

My combined sGPA from undergrad and postbacc is now 3.21 (up from 2.94). Since I am waiting another year, I am planning on taking an additional ~18 or so credits to get my overall sGPA above 3.3. At this point though, I am running out of upper div bio/science classes to take without retaking ones from undergrad (already retook my two C-'s), and I'm starting to wonder if its a bad use of time/energy/$$.

One school I talked to recommended 25-30 credits of postbacc, and I see other people saying 30 or 32 is a good rule of thumb, so am I achieving diminishing returns by continuing to take classes? Would this time be better spent volunteering or just enjoying my life lol? I do like the content of these classes, so I'm enjoying what I'm learning, but at $1000 a pop I would like to avoid wasting money, especially given the cost of the application cycle.

Thanks!

Side note: I'm already planning on not taking any classes while I study for the MCAT (scheduled in September), so additional MCAT studying wouldn't be another possible use of my time.
I'd say you're done. Now do well on MCAT!!!

Reactions: 3 users
I'd say you're done. Now do well on MCAT!!!
thanks Goro! its just hard to see these schools where I can be above their 10th% if I get up to 3.3, but I know that's not how I should think when doing post-bacc things. its good to hear that the MCAT should be my focus now, I was definitely thinking the same thing.

thanks Goro! its just hard to see these schools where I can be above their 10th% if I get up to 3.3, but I know that's not how I should think when doing post-bacc things. its good to hear that the MCAT should be my focus now, I was definitely thinking the same thing.
It's no longer about the GPA anymore, but showing the you of now is not the you of then. thus, MSAR is less useful to a reinventor. The only worthwhile hints are from the # of matriculants who have post-bac work and/or grad degrees, which is given in MCAR

Reactions: 1 user
It's no longer about the GPA anymore, but showing the you of now is not the you of then. thus, MSAR is less useful to a reinventor. The only worthwhile hints are from the # of matriculants who have post-bac work and/or grad degrees, which is given in MCAR
Do you think that every school reports the number of students entering from a postbac?

Do you know if it's only reported if it's a formal postbac and not a DIY postbac?

Should reinventors avoid applying to schools that do not report acceptees from postbac programs?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you think that every school reports the number of students entering from a postbac?

Do you know if it's only reported if it's a formal postbac and not a DIY postbac?

Should reinventors avoid applying to schools that do not report acceptees from postbac programs?
1) No, not all schools report the info.

2) All MSAR tells you is "Number of students entering from Postbaccalaureate programs"

3) That's your call.

Reactions: 1 users
1) No, not all schools report the info.

2) All MSAR tells you is "Number of students entering from Postbaccalaureate programs"

3) That's your call.
I've been cursorily looking at schools and compiling them into a spreadsheet, but obviously without an MCAT I can't get too narrow, but I have taken a look at ones that have been previously recommended for reinventors by you and ones that have accepted students from my DIY postbacc program. a lot of schools I noted have postbaccs above 10%, with the highest being UC Davis at ~33% and the lowest being UChicago (definitely reach but its my alma mater) at ~1%. but many that i have tried to compile don't report as well.

Reactions: 1 users