when to submit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EMTRNtoDR

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok guys heres my question. Im taking the mcat may 30th and scores wont be back till early july. My applications are done, obviously i will submit them to be verified while waiting for scores. When I submit to be verified, should i submit to all the schools I want to apply to or just 1? Why? Also, when should i send out letters of recommendations? After my mcat or before? Trying to get it done as early as possible.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Check the AACOMAS thread.

+1

I did, can't find what I'm looking for.

They are there.

Submit as soon as possible. If you think you have a good score (27+ for DO or 30+ for MD) then choose your school list when you hit submit. If you think your scores are borderline or low, choose one school now, get verified, and make a list of schools that fit your stats when you get your MCAT back. Doing this may save you money from not applying to the wrong set of schools (either too high or too low for your stats).

Most schools won't look at your app until there are MCAT scores.

As for LORs, most DO schools want them with the secondaries. MD schools get submitted with the primary, DO with the secondary. Use a letter service like Interfolio to send your letters. (interfolio is a huge money making scam, but it is worth it in the worst case scenario that makes you need to apply again next year.)

There are a couple DO schools that don't want your letters unless you get an interview (LECOM is one that I know for sure).

There are about 1000 threads on here that have these same answers. I know because I have written responses to them several times in the past few weeks.

good luck with the admissions process. May your acceptances be as numerous as mine were.

dsoz

+1

They are there.

Submit as soon as possible. If you think you have a good score (27+ for DO or 30+ for MD) then choose your school list when you hit submit. If you think your scores are borderline or low, choose one school now, get verified, and make a list of schools that fit your stats when you get your MCAT back. Doing this may save you money from not applying to the wrong set of schools (either too high or too low for your stats).

Most schools won't look at your app until there are MCAT scores.

As for LORs, most DO schools want them with the secondaries. MD schools get submitted with the primary, DO with the secondary. Use a letter service like Interfolio to send your letters. (interfolio is a huge money making scam, but it is worth it in the worst case scenario that makes you need to apply again next year.)

There are a couple DO schools that don't want your letters unless you get an interview (LECOM is one that I know for sure).

There are about 1000 threads on here that have these same answers. I know because I have written responses to them several times in the past few weeks.

good luck with the admissions process. May your acceptances be as numerous as mine were.

dsoz

I understand one applies early to just one school to save time on verification and for financial reasons. However, ignoring the costs of it, if one applies early to many schools without an MCAT score, aren't they running the risk of getting screened with just their non-competitive gpa on file (and no mcat score yet) and possibly not get secondaries?