When to Take DAT

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fan2342

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some help. So, I'm going to be a sophomore in college and I have 54 credits. I'm in a 3/4 dual admission program and will be applying in a year. I will also be able to graduate after junior year provided I take a heavy course load. I want to get into UCLA dental school so I want to apply as early as possible which I think is June next year. I am taking Orgo I/II, A&P I/II, genetics, microbio, and cell and molec this sophomore year. I will have to take the DAT either winter semester or in the summer.

When would you guys recommend I take the DAT? I can take it April and then retake in July of scores are not good or take in the summer but I'm not sure when because I want to apply as early as possible. Will April be too soon with classes and all and I'm still learning or what do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Take it in the summer when you can have complete focus. If you're a fast learner study hard over winter break and take it then.

Members don't see this ad :)
The general consensus on this website is to take it when you're ready (so long as you have time to send your application out early). I would suggest taking it, at the latest, before spring of your senior year. You want to have the extra time in case you want to retake.

Everyone studies differently. Don't rely on SDN or any other website for a concrete schedule without assessing your own study skills first. Figure out how much time you need and how many materials you need to do well. I have a friend who set aside a month and a half to study for the MCAT (at the end of the semester, too!) and did fine because she knew what she was doing. Another user on here studied over the summer with only two or three resources, never took a practice test, and made a 26 on the DAT. More is less or less is more, depending on how you learn and review.

For instance, not everyone is an effective studier over the summer. I'm taking fewer credits this semester to study for the DAT and take it over winter break (though I'm probably going to review as much Bio as I can before the semester begins). I volunteer and work over the summer to pay for college so I knew I wouldn't have time to study (and I know I'm less likely to stay focused when I don't have classes). I study for science courses by learning over a period of time and reviewing briefly, and this has worked for six semesters while I manage EC's and research. So that's how I'm studying for this test.

I wouldn't register until you have this planned out. Good luck!

The general consensus on this website is to take it when you're ready (so long as you have time to send your application out early). I would suggest taking it, at the latest, before spring of your senior year. You want to have the extra time in case you want to retake.

Everyone studies differently. Don't rely on SDN or any other website for a concrete schedule without assessing your own study skills first. Figure out how much time you need and how many materials you need to do well. I have a friend who set aside a month and a half to study for the MCAT (at the end of the semester, too!) and did fine because she knew what she was doing. Another user on here studied over the summer with only two or three resources, never took a practice test, and made a 26 on the DAT. More is less or less is more, depending on how you learn and review.

For instance, not everyone is an effective studier over the summer. I'm taking fewer credits this semester to study for the DAT and take it over winter break (though I'm probably going to review as much Bio as I can before the semester begins). I volunteer and work over the summer to pay for college so I knew I wouldn't have time to study (and I know I'm less likely to stay focused when I don't have classes). I study for science courses by learning over a period of time and reviewing briefly, and this has worked for six semesters while I manage EC's and research. So that's how I'm studying for this test.

I wouldn't register until you have this planned out. Good luck!
The program I am in makes my senior year next year. I think I'm a pretty fast learned but if I take the DAT in the spring during school and I don't get a great score, then I will have to retake and how do dental schools feel on that?

The program I am in makes my senior year next year. I think I'm a pretty fast learner but if I take the DAT in the spring during school and I don't get a great score, then I will have to retake and how do dental schools feel on that?

Well, study your best and take it and see what happens. If you need to retake it, it's obviously not the most favorable situation, but many dental schools accept retakes (including Harvard!). If you improve significantly, I don't see how it would hurt your application too much. Plenty of people retake. That's why it's an option. Make sure you kick a** on the retake, though!

Well, study your best and take it and see what happens. If you need to retake it, it's obviously not the most favorable situation, but many dental schools accept retakes (including Harvard!). If you improve significantly, I don't see how it would hurt your application too much. Plenty of people retake. That's why it's an option. Make sure you kick a** on the retake, though!
Would it make sense to take it late March or so? I would be towards the end of Orgo 2, cell and molec, microbio, and A&P 2

Would it make sense to take it late March or so? I would be towards the end of Orgo 2, cell and molec, microbio, and A&P 2

You don't need any of those courses (except perhaps Orgo II) to do well on the DAT. The Orgo portion of the test focuses heavily on Orgo I material, and Bio I and II should give you enough background to review for the Bio portion. Take it when you feel you'll do best.