when to take mcat?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bluemachine

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi all. i may be a re-applicant this next cycle, so im currently studying for the new mcat. my current plan is to get my application out as early as possible (in june) with my old MCAT score, and then the new MCAT score will be more of like an update to schools after i take it.

since my mcat score is more of an update rather than being immediately necessary for schools to look at my app, would it matter whether i take the july or august mcat? my scores wouldn't be released until either mid-august or beginning of september. my reasoning is that if it doesn't make a difference, spending more time studying and taking it in august would only be beneficial to my eventual score, unless people think that taking the august MCAT would be too late, and that i should strive to take the july 18th test?

thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but if you have a pending MCAT score, won't many schools want to wait to see what the new score is before considering your application complete?

If that's the case, that will affect your timeline.

Some schools will base secondaries on your current score, others will wait till your latest scores. If you're current score is not what you want them to base it on then that could hurt you with those schools. If you apply to schools that will wait, that would affect when they consider you for secondaries.

Members don't see this ad :)
wait is that really true?? how can i find out which schools wait base my secondary on the current score and which will wait til my updated scores? this is definitely a game changer if its true... @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro

My school sends a secondary to everyone but doesn't bother reading the application until it is complete meaning that the new MCAT scores have been reported. It is unlikely you'd be writing and submitting secondaries before you take the MCAT so either way you will be writing secondaries as the MCAT is being scored and your application will be complete sooner or later depending on when you take the MCAT.

My school sends a secondary to everyone but doesn't bother reading the application until it is complete meaning that the new MCAT scores have been reported. It is unlikely you'd be writing and submitting secondaries before you take the MCAT so either way you will be writing secondaries as the MCAT is being scored and your application will be complete sooner or later depending on when you take the MCAT.

there is no way for your school (and other schools for that matter) to consider my application with my old MCAT score as complete? this would be kinda defeating the purpose of me retaking the MCAT, as my application would then be complete like late august, which is basically just as bad (if not worse) than an average MCAT score. so if I have like a 31 MCAT score, would you not recommend me retaking the MCAT in july or august, as it would render my application on the later end?

Why should we spend a volunteer faculty member's time looking at an application if it will have to be done all over again weeks later when the MCAT score comes it? We'll set it aside and look at it when it is complete.

If your practice exams were averaging 6 points higher than 31, then it might be worth retaking although this new test is something of a mystery.

Reactions: 2 users
Why should we spend a volunteer faculty member's time looking at an application if it will have to be done all over again weeks later when the MCAT score comes it? We'll set it aside and look at it when it is complete.

If your practice exams were averaging 6 points higher than 31, then it might be worth retaking although this new test is something of a mystery.

mm that makes a lot of sense, thanks! also, so you're saying if im doing a lot better and able to improve to equivalent of a 36+, it would be able to offset having an application being complete like late aug/sept?

If your MCAT will only be 1 point higher in each section, then you haven't gained much benefit for the risk associated with a late application. If your score will be 2 points or more higher in each section, the risk of being late might be outweighed by the benefit of an excellent score.

Do keep in mind that some schools average MCAT attempts which will be more difficult with the new scoring scheme averaged with the old one; all the more reason to take it again only if you can make an impressive showing the second time around.

Reactions: 1 user
Suggest asking in the school-specific threads, and do you homework. I have no way of knowing who sends secondaries and who doesn't.

LizzyM's school is a top one, and illustrates why I like to say that most secondaries are a tax on the hopelessly optimistic.

wait is that really true?? how can i find out which schools wait base my secondary on the current score and which will wait til my updated scores? this is definitely a game changer if its true... @gyngyn @LizzyM @Goro

mm that makes a lot of sense, thanks! also, so you're saying if im doing a lot better and able to improve to equivalent of a 36+, it would be able to offset having an application being complete like late aug/sept?
Do you have a balanced 31? Or is one of your sections really low?

There are many schools that will evaluate for an interview based on what is submitted as long as all components are present. At these schools your second MCAT will not affect the decision to interview, but if it returns after an interview is granted, it may still have an effect on the outcome (for better or worse).

then is it allowed to say on my application that i won't be retaking (so schools will look over my application first) and then send in the MCAT retake later as an update? or is this not kosher to do?

then is it allowed to say on my application that i won't be retaking (so schools will look over my application first) and then send in the MCAT retake later as an update? or is this not kosher to do?
As soon as you register for the MCAT, I think that AMCAS will tag you as an applicant who is being scheduled for a second MCAT and in what month.

The adcoms could correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm not sure if retaking the MCAT is the best thing for you.
- If you are applying smartly - your MCAT isn't the reason for rejection. Unless of course one of your section score is really low
- Unless you totally didn't study much the first time around - I wouldn't bank on raising it more than a few points
- I think the smart thing for you to do is to forget about retaking it and focus on putting together a nice application this upcoming month. I would call all the schools you were rejected at and try getting as much feedback.

would a 9 BS score be a red flag? i also applied kinda top heavy, as my mcat is by far the worst part of my app (everything else is pretty solid to amazing). i can PM you for more details if youd like