When to take physics and org chem?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SCDP

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
?I will be taking one sophomore year and the other junior year. When do you recommend I take each? Would it be good to take org chem junior year so that it would be fresh in my head for the DAT, even though I would miss out on some of it? Also I am taking chem 1 right now(freshman year) and will take chem 2 next semester so would it be wise to take org chem right after inorg chem?

Members don't see this ad.

It honestly doesn't matter, really up to you and how you want to approach the DAT. That being said, I think most people would agree to take OChem sophomore year and then take the DAT that summer. That way OChem will still be fresh in your head and it provides ample time to study and retake the DAT if necessary if you plan to apply the summer after junior year.

^^ that is definitely a good idea. Couple questions...
1) If I do good on the DAT after sophomore year, will dental school still take that DAT even if I am applying after Junior year? Will I be able to send those scores a year later when I am actually applying?
2) When can the DAT be taken, are there specific dates or anytime? Because if I were to take it after sophomore year it would be nice to have a hard month of studying in the summer before taking it in the summer
3) If I end up retaking the DAT, will dental schools see what I got on the first one?

Members don't see this ad :)
1) If I do good on the DAT after sophomore year, will dental school still take that DAT even if I am applying after Junior year? Will I be able to send those scores a year later when I am actually applying?
2) When can the DAT be taken, are there specific dates or anytime? Because if I were to take it after sophomore year it would be nice to have a hard month of studying in the summer before taking it in the summer
3) If I end up retaking the DAT, will dental schools see what I got on the first one?
1) yes
2) anytime
3) not sure

Good luck!

1) Yes, its valid for 3 years.
2) Once you pay the testing fee and go on the Prometric website to schedule your testing date, you will have a choice of nearly any day during the summer if you schedule it early (can schedule up to 6 months ahead of time).
3) They will usually take your highest regardless.

So question relating the DAT... is this a good plan?

Have chem/orgo chem/ and some bio done by end of sophomore year and beginning of summer, start studying everyday for about 5-6 weeks and take the DAT in middle/late summer?

Yep. That's exactly what I did. (Except I took physics together but physics isn't even on the dat)