When to take physics? And scribing...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1071450

Hey ya'll. I am currently rearranging my schedule for my sophomore spring semester and am kinda stuck on whether or not to take physics 2. I just took physics 1 this semester and thankfully did very well. At this point I am kind of wavering between med school or possibly genetic counseling, so initially I figured I could maybe wait until junior spring to take physics 2 if I was 100% set on med school. I would definitely take 1 gap year in that case, and take the MCAT my senior fall (and will study abroad junior fall).

I see that taking physics 2 closer to when I'd take the MCAT would be better since it would be more fresh in my mind, but I also see the advantage of just getting the physics pre-reqs out of the way. Any advice? If I did take physics 2 this sem, my courses would be ochem 2, genetics, physics 2, and an African American lit class. If I didn't take physics 2, I would be taking "Biology of Flowering Plants," wooo.

I am hoping to complete the scribe101 course this week and hopefully get a scribe job this semester to see if med school could be a path I truly want to take! I will be studying from home instead of in person to save money and because of the covid trends right now. I'm hoping that that wouldn't be looked down on in the future! :confused:

Thanks so much :)

Members don't see this ad.

Personally. I would want to just get it over with while I am still warm from Physics 1. It is true that there is not much in physics 2 that necessitates taking it after 1, but I took physics over two separate summers and wish I had just done it all in one fell swoop. But if you think doing it with genetics and OC2 is too much, you can always push it. DId you take OC1 this semester with Physics 1?

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Personally. I would want to just get it over with while I am still warm from Physics 1. It is true that there is not much in physics 2 that necessitates taking it after 1, but I took physics over two separate summers and wish I had just done it all in one fell swoop. But if you think doing it with genetics and OC2 is too much, you can always push it. DId you take OC1 this semester with Physics 1?

Med School Tutors
Thanks so much for your reply! I did - this semester I took orgo 1, physics 1, cell bio, and biostats. I was a hard semester for sure, but it all ended up great! I definitely see the upsides of just getting it all over with. I could see really dreading it junior year when it had been a full year and a half since the last physics course and I might like to take some other courses that really interest me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks so much for your reply! I did - this semester I took orgo 1, physics 1, cell bio, and biostats. I was a hard semester for sure, but it all ended up great! I definitely see the upsides of just getting it all over with. I could see really dreading it junior year when it had been a full year and a half since the last physics course and I might like to take some other courses that really interest me.
Certainly sounds like you could handle the course load. Note that there is not a huge amount of pure physics left on the MCAT, so even if you take it now you will have more than enough time to review it for the MCAT. Good luck!

Med School Tutors

Certainly sounds like you could handle the course load. Note that there is not a huge amount of pure physics left on the MCAT, so even if you take it now you will have more than enough time to review it for the MCAT. Good luck!

Med School Tutors
Thanks so much for your advice - I really appreciate it!