when to take physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slowdancing

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need help deciding whether I should take physics next year or my junior year. I could either do bio, ochem, physics (with labs) and a GE fall semester and spring semester. Or, I could do physics my junior year along with 2 bio classes with lab and a GE.
I've taken physics before at a community college, so I kind of know what it will consist of. I'm just not sure when I should take it because I'm afraid if I take it with ochem, it will be too much to handle, and if I take it with two bio labs during junior year, I won't have enough time to study for the MCATs. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I need help deciding whether I should take physics next year or my junior year. I could either do bio, ochem, physics (with labs) and a GE fall semester and spring semester. Or, I could do physics my junior year along with 2 bio classes with lab and a GE.
I've taken physics before at a community college, so I kind of know what it will consist of. I'm just not sure when I should take it because I'm afraid if I take it with ochem, it will be too much to handle, and if I take it with two bio labs during junior year, I won't have enough time to study for the MCATs. Thanks!

It depends on how mch you like the material. If you are the sort that finds physics "fun" and learn it easily then take it whenever you wish. If you are like me and physics is not really your cup of tea then wait until a bit later to take it. That way the material will be more "fresh" in your mind, as less time will have passed between you taking the course and taking the MCAT.

I think if you have to prioritize, physics earlier is better. If you really learn/understand physics, it sticks, but the same is not true for o-chem or bio. If physics is going to be a drag to you and you don't think you are going to be willing to put the effort in to "really get it", it won't matter when you take it.

Members don't see this ad :)
based on what you plan on taking schedule-wise, you seem you could handle it whenever. The Trig-based physics is pretty much High school physics glorified, unlike calc physics. The other sciences are harder as far as the actual material. That's just my opinion, and I'm sure everyone else has something else to say. So, I'll just say this: Only take what you can prioritize time to study for. If you're going to take Physics and therefore not have as much time to stufy for both Bio and physics, then take it later.

I hope this was clear..

I'm sort of in the same boat as you. By the start of the fall, I will have had all general chem done, bio 1 done, english comp, psych, and calc 1 and 2 all done. My plan is to take Organic Chem 1 and Physics 1 (calc based) for my fall semester along with a lit. liberal ed, and a statistics class for my psych minor. I would have taken physiology as my second semester of biology instead of taking lit. but I'm transferring to a different campus, and I want to just make sure i have my feet down solid before taking 3 intense sciences.

I've asked all of my chem professors, TA's and my adviser (who's also a chem professor) about taking Physics and OChem in the same semester, and he says that many if not most science majors go that way. You're always going to have a lot of science classes if you are a sci major.

For me, I'd rather take Physics, O Chem, and possibly a Biology course rather than taking Intro to Neuroscience (for my major), Biochem, and Physics in the same semester my junior year. That is my two cents.

All my advisors told me to take physics my junior year (or the year I took my MCAT) so it'd be fresh in my mind because that is the subject people usually struggle the most on. Doing that meant I had to take physics I, O-chem lab, Biochem, and Stats in the same semester. that looks tough, and it was but you will find 99% of pre-meds had at least one semester like that one...so if you want to be pre-med get used to taking a tough classes at the same time.

Personally physics did not come easy and I had to work hard at it. So, for me it was very good advice to take it my junior year. Things were fresh in my mind and I firmly believe that I would've scored lower had I taken it earlier.

I think if physics comes easy (you are an engineering major) don't worry. But if you are like most and physics is not easy for you, try to wait.